Broner defeats Escobedo with fifth-round TKOJul 22, 2012 - 3:52 AM Cincinnati, OH (Sports Network) - Adrien Broner dominated Vicente Escobedo through five rounds on Saturday to earn a knockout in a junior lightweight bout.
Broner (24-0), who was stripped of his WBO junior lightweight title at Friday's weigh-in for missing weight, was the more active fighter throughout the fight, unleashing a barrage of punches midway through the second and a multitude of shots in the third.
Escobedo (25-4) had started to bleed from the nose and mouth by the start of the fifth and was trapped against the ropes for the majority of the round.
He withstood a multitude of punches in the corner until his trainer threw in the towel to halt the fight 2:42 into the round.
Escobedo would have captured Broner's vacant belt with a win.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Jones stops Lebedev; Povetkin tops Wawrzyk Fri
- Hopkins-Froch is as good as it gets on many levels Thu
- Burns retains WBO lightweight title May 11
- Even at 36, Mayweather is still 'Money' May 10
- Mayweather takes unanimous decision over Guerrero May 5
- Klitschko stops Pianeta to retain heavyweight belts May 4
- Garcia dominates Judah in title bout Apr 27
- Martinez retains WBC middleweight belt, defeats Murray Apr 27
- Gordon still living the fight fan's dream Apr 24
- Alvarez beats Trout in title unification bout Apr 21
- Rigondeaux beats Donaire to unify titles Apr 14
- 'Truth' is, Carl Williams was a really good fighter Apr 11