Bombers' new stadium won't be ready for 2012 seasonJun 15, 2012 - 4:59 PM Winnipeg, MB (Sports Network) - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers announced Friday that the team will play the entire 2012 season at Canad Inns Stadium.
The franchise's new home, Investors Group Field, was expected to open this summer, but construction of the state-of-the-art facility has been plagued by weather-related delays.
"It is with great disappointment that we are making this announcement today, however we feel it is in the best interest of our fans, sponsors and entire organization to come to this decision," Blue Bombers president and CEO Garth Buchko said in a statement.
"The reality is that unpredictable weather at a critical stage of construction, has made it difficult to pin down the ultimate completion date. Endeavoring to accelerate work to overcome weather disruptions, beyond what is reasonable and safe, will only create further delays along the way, potentially compromising worker safety and the ultimate fan experience.
"To open Investors Group Field prior to a state of total completion would not be fair to our fans as their first experience must be a positive one. The citizens of our city and province have waited a long time for a new stadium and it will be well worth the wait to have it opened properly. This decision will most importantly provide stability and certainty for our loyal and passionate fans, the football team and the entire Blue Bomber organization."
Canad Inns Stadium has been the home of the Blue Bombers since 1953. The new stadium is expected to be complete for 2013.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Bombers release QB Brink Apr 8
- Bombers release Logan, Elliott Mar 26
- Blue Bombers ink WR Edwards to contract extension Mar 8
- Bombers sign Muamba away from BC Feb 19
- Bombers keep DT Turner Feb 15
- Blue Bombers give OL January contract extension Jan 23
- Blue Bombers re-sign Hefney Jan 11
- Blue Bombers extend Palardy, bring back Sears Jan 3
- Bombers extend Watson, Greaves Jan 2
- Bombers re-sign three players Dec 21
- Blue Bombers name Creehan defensive coordinator Nov 29
- Ticats QB Burris leads pack of CFL's best Nov 5