Simpson won't play British OpenJun 21, 2012 - 1:38 PM Cromwell, CT (Sports Network) - U.S. Open champion Webb Simpson confirmed on Wednesday that he will not play in next month's British Open due to the impending birth of his second child.
Simpson, who went 68-68 over the weekend at Olympic Club to notch his first major victory, will skip the trip to Royal Lytham & St. Annes Golf Club as his wife Dowd is due to give birth around the same time. The Open Championship is scheduled from July 19-22.
"After winning it's certainly a little harder not to go because I'd love to go and try to win another major," Simpson said Wednesday at the Travelers Championship. "But in the grand scheme of things and grand scheme of life it's a decision that I know I'll always be happy that I made.
"I'm a guy who loves my family, and we're probably only going to have a couple more babies, so I have the rest of my life to play in the British Open. I don't want to miss the birth of the second child. So it's an easy decision."
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Nobody asked me, but ... Tue
- Golf Tidbits: Rose proves that he is Philly tough Tue
- This Week in Golf -- June 20-23 Mon
- Rose moves to third in the world rankings Mon
- U.S. Open Final Round News & Notes Sun
- Rose conquers Merion Sun
- What they said after the final round of the U.S. Open Sun
- Woods posts worst score as a pro Sun
- Stefani's ace leads to 69 at U.S. Open Sun
- Simpson wraps up title defense at U.S. Open Sun
- How recent U.S. Opens have been won Sun
- What they said after the third round of the U.S. Open Sat