Pettersen leads at U.S. Women's OpenJul 7, 2012 - 2:02 AM Kohler, WI (Sports Network) - Suzann Pettersen carded a 4-under 68 on Friday to take the lead at the U.S. Women's Open, the third major on the LPGA calendar.
Pettersen, who was a runner-up to Paula Creamer at this event in 2010, finished 36 holes at 5-under-par 139.
She's just one stroke ahead of two Americans -- Cristie Kerr and Michelle Wie, who share second at minus-4.
Kerr, one of three first-round leaders, is in pursuit of her third major championship and second U.S. Women's Open title, having won in 2007. She carded a 1-under 71 on Friday at Blackwolf Run.
Wie's presence at the top of the leaderboard is a mild surprise when placed within the context of her season. The 22-year-old has missed the cut six times and hasn't finished inside the top-30 all year.
Still, Wie is a two-time winner on the LPGA and owns six top-5 finishes in major tournaments. Her 6-under 66 on Friday immediately pulled her into contention.
Inbee Park, the 2008 winner, shot a 2-under 70 to reach minus-3. She shares fourth place with Sandra Gal (70) and Vicky Hurst (70).
Missing from the top of the leaderboard are the top two players in the world, Yani Tseng and Stacy Lewis, who are part of a large group tied for 29th at plus-2. Lewis managed a 3-under 69 to rebound from a poor first round, while Tseng carded a round of even-par 72.
MORE TO FOLLOW.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Lewis moves 2 clear in Dubai 11:17a
- Green pushes lead to 5 at Q-School 6:11p
- Lewis leads by 1 in Dubai Thu
- Green shoots 62, jumps ahead by 4 at Q-School Wed
- Oyama soars in women's world rankings Mon
- Oyama wins by 4 in Japan Sun
- Suwannapura wins by 3 in India Nov 30
- Feng climbs to 4th in women's world rankings Nov 25
- Feng rallies to win Titleholders Nov 24
- Gulbis, 2 others share Titleholders lead Nov 23
- Gal pushes lead to 3 in Florida Nov 22
- LPGA Tour unveils 2014 schedule Nov 22