Thinking Out Loud upsets to win North America CupJun 17, 2012 - 3:44 AM Campbellville, ON (Sports Network) - Thinking Out Loud, driven by Randy Waples, came from far back Saturday night to upset the field and win the $1.5 million North America Cup at Mohawk Racetrack. The three-year-old pacer covered the mile in 1:47 4/5 in winning the 29th edition of the Cup.
In the early going Thinking Out Loud, 8-1 at post-time, was racing seventh in the 10 horse field. The colt dropped farther back with Warrawee Needy setting most of the pace.
Sweet Lou, the 1-2 favorite, was racing in third and took over the lead at the top of the stretch. Thinking Out Loud gained ground from the outside and joined the contenders with a furlong to go.
Sweet Lou tired allowing Thinking Out Loud to get up near the wire and surge home a half-length winner. Time To Roll also rallied to finish second followed by Dapper Dude, Sweet Lou, State Treasurer, Bettors Edge, A Rocknroll Dance, Pet Rock, Simply Business and Warrawee Needy.
"It's just an unbelievable feeling," said Waples. "I just drove a horse for a guy who's in every Hall of Fame in the world. He makes it so easy. His crew is unbelievable. He has been a great horse since the day he set foot on the track. I was lucky enough to pick him up. I owe it all to Bob and his crew."
Thinking Out Loud, co-owned and trained by co-breeder Bob McIntosh, banks $750,000 with the win. The colt recorded his seventh win in 10 career starts for $861,750. Last week Thinking Out Loud was third in his North America Cup elimination heat behind Sweet Lou.
"Last spring (2011), I knew (Thinking Out Loud) was very special," said McIntosh. "Then he came down with a bone bruise. So we shut him down for the year. He's paid us back for that patience now, I guess."
Thinking Out Loud returned $18.60, $8.40 and $8.50. Time To Roll paid $9.00 and $9.10, and Dapper Dude, also from the McIntosh stable, paid $9.50 to show.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Husbands sidelined with broken leg 5:21p
- Veterans put in solid workouts Tue
- Pletcher pair workout ahead of Met Mile Tue
- Nobody asked me, but ... Tue
- Orb joined by Oxbow in 3-year-old poll Mon
- Up the Backstretch: The Big O's likely for Belmont Stakes Mon
- Oxbow wins the slowest Preakness in over 50 years Sat
- Oxbow pulls off upset in Preakness Sat
- Last Gunfighter shoots to victory in Pimlico Special Fri
- Fiftyshadesofhay rallies to victory in Black-Eyed Susan Stakes Fri
- Day before Preakness activity Fri
- Palace Malice possible for Belmont Stakes May 16