Risen Star Stakes to get purse bumpJun 28, 2012 - 6:43 PM New Orleans, LA (Sports Network) - Two of the key Kentucky Derby prep races held at Fair Ground Racecourse will receive purse increases in the upcoming meeting. The Risen Star and Lecomte Stakes are slated for boosts in anticipation of the track's 141st season.
The 1 1/16 mile Risen Star will get a $100,000 bump to $400,000 and the 1 mile 70 yard Lecomte will gain an additional $25,000 to $200,000.
"Our emphasis the past three years has been on improving the overall quality of racing at Fair Grounds and these increases are another part of that strategy," said Fair Grounds president Tim Bryant. "Owners and trainers should know that if they bring their very best horses to New Orleans they will have every chance to be rewarded."
The Risen Star and Lecomte are part of Fair Grounds' three-race stakes series for three-year-olds, culminating with the $1 million Louisiana Derby. The Lecomte begins the series on Saturday, January 19 followed by the Risen Star on Saturday, February 23. The 100th running of the Louisiana Derby will take place on Saturday, March 30.
This past year the Lecomte was won by Mr. Bowling with El Padrino taking the Risen Star. Hero of Order, a 109-1 longshot, upset the field to win the Louisiana Derby.
The Big Easy track's 2012-13 race meet will begin Thanksgiving Day and will conclude with the Louisiana Derby program for a total of 84 days of live racing. A total of 56 stakes will be conducted worth $7.435 million.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Game On Dude working his way back 5:04p
- Orb returns to track ahead of 145th Belmont Stakes 3:47p
- Up the Backstretch: Lukas still beaming after Preakness win 3:10p
- International and E.P. Taylor set for late October 1:29p
- Palace Malice gets Smith for Belmont Stakes Wed
- Husbands sidelined with broken leg Tue
- Veterans put in solid workouts Tue
- Pletcher pair workout ahead of Met Mile Tue
- Nobody asked me, but ... Tue
- Orb joined by Oxbow in 3-year-old poll Mon
- Up the Backstretch: The Big O's likely for Belmont Stakes Mon
- Oxbow wins the slowest Preakness in over 50 years Sat