Top three hold steady in NTRA PollJul 2, 2012 - 6:24 PM New York, NY (Sports Network) - Ron the Greek, Shackleford and Game On Dude remained in the first three spots in the latest NTRA Poll. The voting covered races through July 1.
Ron the Greek, winner of the Stephen Foster and Santa Anita Handicaps, held on to the top position for the third straight week. The five-year-old received 18 first-place votes and 391 points.
Four-year-old Shackleford is 42 points back in second after picking up seven top votes for 349 points.
Third-place is still in the hooves of Game On Dude. Trained by Bob Baffert, the five-year-old gelding picked up four first-place votes and 295 points. Game On Dude will make his next start in Saturday's $500,000 Hollywood Gold Cup.
"His last race (Californian) was so easy. I think I raised my stick and put it in my left hand, but that's all I did," said the gelding's jockey Chantal Sutherland.
Moving up one spot is leading female thoroughbred Royal Delta. Trained by Bill Mott, the four-year-old filly garnered four top votes and 262 points.
The first five in the poll is completed by Wise Dan. The five-year-old gelding received 239 points.
Kentucky Derby and Preakness winner I'll Have Another is sixth with 10 first- place votes and 190 points. He's followed by Acclamation (142), Bodemeister (113), Alternation (98) and Belmont Stakes champ Union Rags (93).
Acclamation, Bodemeister and Alternation each received one first-place vote.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- La Troienne Stakes elevated to Grade I 2:45p
- McCarthy back at Fair Grounds as General Quarters finds new home 10:10a
- Up the Backstretch: Mucho Macho Man brings smiles to racing fans Thu
- Mucho Macho Man to race in 2014 Wed
- Tampa Bay Downs season begins Wednesday Wed
- Adams promoted to president of Calder Tue
- Top two from Remsen headed to Florida Tue
- Up the Backstretch: Hold off on crowning Horse of the Year Mon
- Mutuel field and Honor Code close as Derby Future Wager favorites Mon
- Last Gunfighter captures Hawthorne Gold Cup Nov 30
- Flat Out takes Cigar Mile over Breeders' Cup winners Nov 30
- Will Take Charge edges Game On Dude in Clark Handicap Nov 29