Heat forces cancellation and changesJul 5, 2012 - 5:20 PM Philadelphia, PA (Sports Network) - The week long heat wave that has engulfed the east coast continues to force racetracks to cancel programs or change post times.
Delaware Park has canceled Saturday's race card on the recommendation of Delaware Thoroughbred Racing Commission Chief Veterinarian Dr. John T. Peters. The National Weather Service has predicted a high temperature of 101 degrees, with a heat index of up to 109.
Racing is expected to resume Monday, July 9 at Delaware Park and the races scheduled for Saturday, including the Par Four Overnight Stakes, will be brought back as extra races and redrawn next week.
Penn National is changing first post from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. (ET) for both Friday and Saturday.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- La Troienne Stakes elevated to Grade I 2:45p
- McCarthy back at Fair Grounds as General Quarters finds new home 10:10a
- Up the Backstretch: Mucho Macho Man brings smiles to racing fans Thu
- Mucho Macho Man to race in 2014 Wed
- Tampa Bay Downs season begins Wednesday Wed
- Adams promoted to president of Calder Tue
- Top two from Remsen headed to Florida Tue
- Up the Backstretch: Hold off on crowning Horse of the Year Mon
- Mutuel field and Honor Code close as Derby Future Wager favorites Mon
- Last Gunfighter captures Hawthorne Gold Cup Nov 30
- Flat Out takes Cigar Mile over Breeders' Cup winners Nov 30
- Will Take Charge edges Game On Dude in Clark Handicap Nov 29