Local horse pointed to HaskellJul 9, 2012 - 3:27 PM Oceanport, NJ (Sports Network) - Trainer Kelly Breen is based at Monmouth Park and has his sights set on the track's premier event the $1 million Haskell Invitational on July 29. After Saturday the trainer appears to have a solid chance for the race.
Owned by George and Lori Hall, My Adonis swept to victory in the $100,000 Long Branch Stakes, Monmouth's final prep for the 1 1/8 mile Haskell. My Adonis, ridden by Elvis Trujillo, posted a half length win over Macho Macho and stopped the timer at 1:44.98 for the 1 1/16 miles.
"The pace was so slow and the horse is so strong," said Trujillo. "He was pulling really hard and I could barely hold him back. He got a little bit tired at the end, but by then he had won it."
Breen and the Halls had Belmont Stakes winner Ruler On Ice in last year's Haskell when he finished third to Coil. This year, again, the local connections are pointing for the race.
"The Haskell has always been a thought with this horse," Breen said about My Adonis. "Obviously, we'll wait to see who's coming and how he's training before we make a decision on that."
Already confirmed for the Haskell are Belmont Stakes champ Union Rags, Kentucky Derby and Preakness runner-up Bodemeister and Blue Grass Stakes winner Dullahan.
My Adonis was making his first start on Saturday since finishing eighth behind Union Rags in the Belmont Stakes. The three-year-old colt was third in the Holy Bull Stakes in January and second to Hansen in the Gotham Stakes in March, and a month later in the Wood Memorial was seventh. Prior to the Belmont Stakes My Adonis was third in the Canonero II Stakes at Pimlico.
The Long Branch was the colt's first win of 2012. My Adonis has won three of 12 career starts for $376,000.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Last Gunfighter shoots to victory in Pimlico Special 7:01p
- Fiftyshadesofhay rallies to victory in Black-Eyed Susan Stakes 5:31p
- Day before Preakness activity 4:01p
- Palace Malice possible for Belmont Stakes Thu
- Orb's co-owner takes look at colt Thu
- Up the Backstretch: Triple Crown or bust Thu
- Orb versus eight in 138th Preakness Stakes Wed
- Animal Kingdom has workout for Royal Ascot's Queen Anne Stakes Wed
- Nine 3-year-olds entered for Saturday's Preakness Wed
- Orb stabled at Pimlico for Saturday's main event Tue
- Seven to mix it up in Pimlico Special Mon
- Hall of Fame rider expects Preakness to be unlike Derby Mon