Local horse pointed to HaskellJul 9, 2012 - 3:27 PM Oceanport, NJ (Sports Network) - Trainer Kelly Breen is based at Monmouth Park and has his sights set on the track's premier event the $1 million Haskell Invitational on July 29. After Saturday the trainer appears to have a solid chance for the race.
Owned by George and Lori Hall, My Adonis swept to victory in the $100,000 Long Branch Stakes, Monmouth's final prep for the 1 1/8 mile Haskell. My Adonis, ridden by Elvis Trujillo, posted a half length win over Macho Macho and stopped the timer at 1:44.98 for the 1 1/16 miles.
"The pace was so slow and the horse is so strong," said Trujillo. "He was pulling really hard and I could barely hold him back. He got a little bit tired at the end, but by then he had won it."
Breen and the Halls had Belmont Stakes winner Ruler On Ice in last year's Haskell when he finished third to Coil. This year, again, the local connections are pointing for the race.
"The Haskell has always been a thought with this horse," Breen said about My Adonis. "Obviously, we'll wait to see who's coming and how he's training before we make a decision on that."
Already confirmed for the Haskell are Belmont Stakes champ Union Rags, Kentucky Derby and Preakness runner-up Bodemeister and Blue Grass Stakes winner Dullahan.
My Adonis was making his first start on Saturday since finishing eighth behind Union Rags in the Belmont Stakes. The three-year-old colt was third in the Holy Bull Stakes in January and second to Hansen in the Gotham Stakes in March, and a month later in the Wood Memorial was seventh. Prior to the Belmont Stakes My Adonis was third in the Canonero II Stakes at Pimlico.
The Long Branch was the colt's first win of 2012. My Adonis has won three of 12 career starts for $376,000.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Charles Town Classic returns in April 4:15p
- La Troienne Stakes elevated to Grade I Fri
- McCarthy back at Fair Grounds as General Quarters finds new home Fri
- Up the Backstretch: Mucho Macho Man brings smiles to racing fans Thu
- Mucho Macho Man to race in 2014 Dec 4
- Tampa Bay Downs season begins Wednesday Dec 4
- Adams promoted to president of Calder Dec 3
- Top two from Remsen headed to Florida Dec 3
- Up the Backstretch: Hold off on crowning Horse of the Year Dec 2
- Mutuel field and Honor Code close as Derby Future Wager favorites Dec 2
- Last Gunfighter captures Hawthorne Gold Cup Nov 30
- Flat Out takes Cigar Mile over Breeders' Cup winners Nov 30