Lesion puts Union Rags off racingJul 11, 2012 - 5:41 PM Philadelphia, PA (Sports Network) - A lesion in the left front leg has forced Belmont Stakes winner Union Rags to be sidelined for the remainder of 2012. The three-year-old colt was discovered to have the injury on Tuesday.
The lesion is of the suspensory ligament of the colt's left front leg. It is believed the injury occurred during a workout on July 6 at the Fair Hill Training Center in Maryland.
Trainer Michael Matz said that Union Rags will be out of action the rest of this year, but could resume racing early in 2013. The colt was scheduled to make his next start in the Haskell Invitational at Monmouth Park on July 29.
Owned by Chadds Ford Stable, Union Rags won the Belmont Stakes over Paynter by a neck to record his first win since claiming the Fountain of Youth Stakes in February. The colt has earned $1,798,800 in eight career starts with five wins.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Orb joined by Oxbow in 3-year-old poll 4:05p
- Up the Backstretch: The Big O's likely for Belmont Stakes 11:45a
- Oxbow wins the slowest Preakness in over 50 years Sat
- Oxbow pulls off upset in Preakness Sat
- Last Gunfighter shoots to victory in Pimlico Special Fri
- Fiftyshadesofhay rallies to victory in Black-Eyed Susan Stakes Fri
- Day before Preakness activity Fri
- Palace Malice possible for Belmont Stakes Thu
- Orb's co-owner takes look at colt Thu
- Up the Backstretch: Triple Crown or bust Thu
- Orb versus eight in 138th Preakness Stakes May 15
- Animal Kingdom has workout for Royal Ascot's Queen Anne Stakes May 15