Santa Anita gains 2013 Breeders' CupAug 9, 2012 - 8:24 PM Lexington, KY (Sports Network) - The 30th edition of the Breeders' Cup World Championships will be conducted at Santa Anita Park in 2012. It will be the second straight year that the Arcadia, Calif. track will host the World Championships.
"We are delighted to extend our partnership with Santa Anita, to celebrate the 30th edition of our Championships in Southern California and for the unprecedented opportunity to showcase the Breeders' Cup Classic in primetime for a second consecutive year. We are equally looking forward to bringing racing fans a world-class event at one of the world's greatest racing venues," said Breeders' Cup President and CEO Craig Fravel. "Southern California and the greater Los Angeles community are always exceptional hosts for fans and horsemen alike from the event's launch in 1984 and, most recently, at the 2008 and 2009 World Championships."
This marks the second time Santa Anita will have hosted the Breeders' Cup in consecutive years. The historic track ran back-to-back World Championships in 2008-09 along with 1986, 1993, 2003 and this year on Nov. 2 and 3.
"We are very proud that California has once again been selected to host the Breeders' Cup and we will take all the steps necessary to ensure that the Breeders' Cup this November and next year at Santa Anita will be of the highest caliber for our racing fans and horsemen in our state and for our guests attending from around the world," said Keith Brackpool, Chairman of the California Horse Racing Board."
The NBC Sports Network will be televising this year's Breeders' Cup with primetime coverage of the $5 million Classic. There will be 9 1/2 hours of coverage on NBC and NBC Sports Network over the two days of the World Championships.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Orb returns to track ahead of 145th Belmont Stakes 3:47p
- Up the Backstretch: Lukas still beaming after Preakness win 3:10p
- International and E.P. Taylor set for late October 1:29p
- Palace Malice gets Smith for Belmont Stakes Wed
- Husbands sidelined with broken leg Tue
- Veterans put in solid workouts Tue
- Pletcher pair workout ahead of Met Mile Tue
- Nobody asked me, but ... Tue
- Orb joined by Oxbow in 3-year-old poll Mon
- Up the Backstretch: The Big O's likely for Belmont Stakes Mon
- Oxbow wins the slowest Preakness in over 50 years Sat
- Oxbow pulls off upset in Preakness Sat