Pacific Classic contenders workoutAug 9, 2012 - 8:03 PM Del Mar, CA (Sports Network) - Thursday morning was a busy time at Del Mar for probable starters in this month's $1 million Pacific Classic. Three contenders for the 1 1/4 mile stakes had workouts leading to the Aug. 26 race.
Two-time Pacific Classic champ Richard's Kid worked five furlongs in 59.80 seconds with jockey Rafael Bejarano over Del Mar's synthetic main track.
"It was a nice work," trainer Bob Baffert said.
Richard's Kid won the Classic in 2009 and 2010 and most recently won the Cougar II Handicap at Del Mar.
Trainer Don Warren had last year's Classic winner Acclamation work on the track's turf course. The Eclipse Award winner went six furlongs with exercise rider Fernando Valenzuela in 1:11.20.
"(Acclamation) went a little faster than we thought he would, but he went so well within himself that it's fine," said owner E.W. 'Bud' Johnston.
Also taking to the turf course was trainer Ron McAnally's Interaction. Second to Acclamation in last month's Eddie Read, Interaction worked five furlongs in 1:03 with jockey Brice Blanc.
"(Blanc) worked both Interaction and All Star Heart and said they both felt as good as ever," McAnally said.
On Tuesday, San Diego Handicap winner Rail Trip worked four furlongs at Hollywood Park in 49.20 seconds.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Oxbow wins the slowest Preakness in over 50 years 8:49p
- Oxbow pulls off upset in Preakness 7:44p
- Last Gunfighter shoots to victory in Pimlico Special Fri
- Fiftyshadesofhay rallies to victory in Black-Eyed Susan Stakes Fri
- Day before Preakness activity Fri
- Palace Malice possible for Belmont Stakes Thu
- Orb's co-owner takes look at colt Thu
- Up the Backstretch: Triple Crown or bust Thu
- Orb versus eight in 138th Preakness Stakes Wed
- Animal Kingdom has workout for Royal Ascot's Queen Anne Stakes Wed
- Nine 3-year-olds entered for Saturday's Preakness Wed
- Orb stabled at Pimlico for Saturday's main event Tue