Kimmel, Schroder & Gibson grab week four honors in MLLMay 22, 2012 - 1:43 PM Boston, MA (Sports Network) - Major League Lacrosse, the premier professional outdoor lacrosse league, announced Monday its weekly award winners for the week ending May 20, 2012, according to MLL Commissioner David Gross. Chesapeake Bayhawks midfielder Michael Kimmel was named as the League?s Offensive Player of the Week while Ohio Machine goalkeeper Stefan Schroder received the Defensive Player of the Week award.
In addition, Long Island Lizards attackman Matt Gibson has been honored as the Cascade Rookie of the Week.
After being limited to just three goals in his first three games, Kimmel exploded for a season-high six goals, including a two-point marker, and added an assist to lead the Bayhawks to a 20-7 victory over the Hamilton Nationals on Friday afternoon. He scored three of his goals in the fourth quarter as the Bayhawks outscored Hamilton by 7-1 to end the game.
Kimmel, who earned the second Offensive Player of the Week award of his career, is the Bayhawks? second-leading scorer with 13 points and has scored nine goals, including a two-point marker, with three assists.
Meanwhile, Schroder led the Ohio Machine to the first win in the team?s history with a 16-10 victory over the Rochester Rattlers at Selby Stadium on Saturday night. He made 17 saves, including five in the second and third quarters, while allowing just eight goals as the Machine won its first-ever home game.
Schroder, who was honored as the Defensive Player of the Week for the first time in his career, has appeared in three games this season and has a 13.78 goals against average while stopping 50.0 per cent of the shots he has faced.
Making his Major League Lacrosse debut, Gibson scored a goal and added four assists to lead the Long Island Lizards to a 10-9 win at Charlotte on Saturday night. The former Yale University attackman recorded an assist in each quarter and also scored the first goal of his MLL career in the second quarter.
The 2012 MLL season will be idle this week before resuming on June 1 and 2 with a full slate of games.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Striebel, Schwartzman & Marasco grab week 14 honors in MLL Aug 13
- Danowski, Bernhardtk & Schuss grab week 13 honors in MLL Aug 6
- Thul, Zink & Lawson grab week 12 honors in MLL Jul 30
- Powell, Ghitelman & Schuss grab week 11 honors in MLL Jul 22
- Rabil, Durkin & Cooper grab week 10 honors in MLL Jul 10
- Leveille, Schwartzman & Flint grab week 9 honors in MLL Jul 1
- Danowski, Durkin & Manny grab week 8 honors in MLL Jun 27
- Cummings, Gurenli & Law grab week 7 honors in MLL Jun 17
- Westervelt, Galloway & Law grab week 6 honors in MLL Jun 11
- Keogh, Galloway & Pannell grab week 5 honors in MLL Jun 4
- Crotty & Schwartzman grab week 3 honors in MLL May 14
- Merrill & Rubeor grab week 2 honors in MLL May 6