Diamondbacks club six home runs in win over MarinersJun 21, 2012 - 12:32 AM
Aaron Hill, Jason Kubel, John McDonald and Justin Upton also went deep, while Ryan Roberts added an inside-the-park home run for the Diamondbacks, who took two of this three-game set.
Trevor Cahill (6-5) allowed six runs on nine hits with five strikeouts and no walks over six innings to earn his fourth straight win.
Jason Vargas (7-7) gave up a career-high 10 runs on nine hits, including a career-high five home runs, and two walks through 4 1/3 innings to absorb the loss.
"He said he felt good but just wasn't in command of the ball," Seattle manager Eric Wedge said about Vargas. "He was working behind quite a bit and they were squaring them up. It was just one of those days."
Franklin Gutierrez hit a three-run home run and Kyle Seager had a two-run shot in defeat.
Arizona jumped out to the early lead in the bottom of the first inning on a pair of solo home runs to left field by Hill and Kubel.
But the Mariners answered with a five-run third inning to go on top.
After Munenori Kawasaki opened the frame with a groundout to short, Vargas started a string of five straight hits with a single through the right side of the infield. Ichiro Suzuki followed with a base hit to left before John Jaso sent a double into the right-field corner, scoring Vargas.
Casper Wells then singled in Suzuki, and Seager capped the rally with a two- run blast over the left-center field wall to give Seattle a 5-2 edge.
The Diamondbacks, though, knotted the game at 5-5 in the fourth on Montero's two-run homer to right field and McDonald's solo shot to left. Kubel led off the inning with a walk prior to Montero's seventh home run of the year.
Arizona used the long ball again in the fifth inning to take the lead when Chris Young hit a leadoff double and Hill worked a walk before Upton crushed a ball well over the left-center field wall.
Vargas was later pulled in favor of Shawn Kelley with one out and runners on first and second, and Roberts greeted Kelley with a base hit up the middle to bring home Paul Goldschmidt.
McDonald's RBI double down the line in left capped the inning and gave the Diamondbacks a 10-5 advantage.
After Dustin Ackley's run-scoring groundout in the top of the sixth inning, Montero hit a two-run single before rounding the bases on Roberts' inside-the- park home run. The ball bounced off the base of the wall in right-center field and skipped away from center fielder Michael Saunders to make it a 14-6 game.
"The main thing I was thinking was just run hard until somebody told me to stop," said Roberts. "I've seen [the ball] get away out there numerous times and guys get triples, guys get doubles and guys get home runs."
Saunders brought in a run with an infield single in the eighth before Gutierrez pulled a pinch-hit, three-run home run into the bleachers in left field to bring the Mariners within 14-10.
David Hernandez, though, struck out the side in the ninth to close out the victory for the Diamondbacks.
Roberts' inside-the-park home run was the first of his career and the eighth in Arizona franchise history...Cahill improved to 5-4 in 12 career starts against Seattle...Vargas fell to 2-1 in four starts against Arizona...Hill extended his home hitting streak to 13 straight games...Seattle did not commit an error for the first time in seven games.
- SEATTLE: 10
Jun 20 6:37 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Franklin Gutierrez two-out, three-run Home Run (1) to left scored Michael Saunders and Dustin Ackley. Chone Figgins due up.
Mariners 10, Diamondbacks 14 Top 8, 2 OutsJun 20 6:19 PM
- Michael Saunders reached first on an infield single to first scoring Casper Wells with one out. Runner on first and Dustin Ackley due up.
Mariners 7, Diamondbacks 14 Top 8, 1 OutJun 20 6:14 PM
- Ryan Roberts two-out, two-run inside-the-park Home Run (5) to left scored Miguel Montero. John McDonald due up.
Mariners 6, Diamondbacks 14 Bot 6, 2 OutsJun 20 5:49 PM
- Miguel Montero singled to right scoring Justin Upton and Paul Goldschmidt with two out. Runner on first and Ryan Roberts due up.
Mariners 6, Diamondbacks 12 Bot 6, 2 OutsJun 20 5:44 PM
- Dustin Ackley grounded out second to first scoring Kyle Seager with two out. None on and Brendan Ryan due up.
Mariners 6, Diamondbacks 10 Top 6, 2 OutsJun 20 5:26 PM
- John McDonald doubled to left scoring Miguel Montero with one out. On the play, Ryan Roberts advances to third. Runners on second and third and Trevor Cahill due up.
Mariners 5, Diamondbacks 10 Bot 5, 1 OutJun 20 5:13 PM
- Ryan Roberts singled to center scoring Paul Goldschmidt with one out. On the play, Miguel Montero advances to third. Runners on first and third and John McDonald due up.
Mariners 5, Diamondbacks 9 Bot 5, 1 OutJun 20 5:11 PM
- Justin Upton none-out, three-run Home Run (6) to left center scored Chris Young and Aaron Hill. Jason Kubel due up.
Mariners 5, Diamondbacks 8 Bot 5, 0 OutsJun 20 5:02 PM
- John McDonald two-out, solo Home Run (4) to left. Trevor Cahill due up.
Mariners 5, Diamondbacks 5 Bot 4, 2 OutsJun 20 4:44 PM
- Ryan Roberts flied out to center. None on with two outs and John McDonald due up.
Mariners 5, Diamondbacks 4 Bot 4, 2 OutsJun 20 4:43 PM
- Kyle Seager one-out, two-run Home Run (10) to right scored Casper Wells. Michael Saunders due up.
Mariners 5, Diamondbacks 2 Top 3, 1 OutJun 20 4:15 PM
- Casper Wells singled to left scoring Ichiro Suzuki and John Jaso with one out. Runner on first and Kyle Seager due up.
Mariners 3, Diamondbacks 2 Top 3, 1 OutJun 20 4:14 PM
- John Jaso doubled to right scoring Jason Vargas with one out. On the play, Ichiro Suzuki advances to third. Runners on second and third and Casper Wells due up.
Mariners 1, Diamondbacks 2 Top 3, 1 OutJun 20 4:13 PM
- Jason Kubel two-out, solo Home Run (8) to left center. Paul Goldschmidt due up.
Mariners 0, Diamondbacks 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsJun 20 3:55 PM
- Aaron Hill one-out, solo Home Run (10) to left. Justin Upton due up.
Mariners 0, Diamondbacks 1 Bot 1, 1 OutJun 20 3:50 PM
- SEATTLE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 20 3:40 PM
- Diamondbacks use big 7th inning, down Padres 3:27a
- Berkman and Baker blast Rangers over Mariners 2:13a
- Mariners select contract of C Sucre 5:58p
- McCarthy tries for repeat performance in outing vs. Padres Fri
- Mariners head home to face AL West-leading Rangers Fri
- Mariners demote Montero to Triple-A Thu
- Wilson leads surging Angels past sinking Mariners Thu
- Rockies close out homestand by whacking D-Backs again Wed
- Angels hope to continue offensive onslaught versus Mariners Wed
- Series up for grabs when D'Backs, Rox play rubber match at Coors Wed
- Rox slip by D-Backs in 10 Wed
- Angels crush Mariners behind Trout's cycle Wed