Collmenter, D-backs down MetsJul 28, 2012 - 5:33 AM
Chris Young clubbed a two-run double for the Diamondbacks, who snapped a brief two-game skid. Aaron Hill, Paul Goldschmidt, Justin Upton and Henry Blanco added an RBI apiece in the victory.
Josh Collmenter (3-2) allowed five runs on seven hits and a walk with five strikeouts over six innings to pick up the win. He also contributed offensively with an RBI single. Relievers Brad Ziegler and Craig Breslow finished off the rout for the D-Backs.
"It was a lot closer that the score indicates," Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson said. "We kept adding on though. (David) Wright hit a bomb there, but Josh kept his composure because we needed innings tonight."
Wright smoked a three-run home run and Ike Davis clubbed a solo shot in the loss for the Mets, who have dropped 13 of their last 15 games.
Jon Niese (7-5) was tagged for eight runs -- six earned -- on nine hits and a walk over six innings. He fanned five batters.
"I think there are nights where he really struggles, he just can not make the pitch he needs to make," Mets manager Terry Collins said. "Tonight he left some balls up and on the plate and they had some good swings."
The Mets opened the scoring with a pair of runs in the second inning. Davis led off the frame with a long shot to right for the first run, and Andres Torres singled home Daniel Murphy later in the frame.
The Diamondbacks exploded for six runs in the home half to take the lead.
Upton started the hit parade with a one-out single, followed by base hits from Young and Stephen Drew to load the bases. Upton trotted home on a walk by Blanco and Collmenter ripped a single to plate Young.
The turning point of the inning came when Bloomquist topped one up the third base line to Niese, who stumbled to the ball, spun and threw wildly to first. The ball sailed past Davis, kicked off the tarp and rolled into right field, allowing three runs to score. Hill capped the inning with a sacrifice fly to make it a 6-2 game.
Ruben Tejada started the Mets third with a single and Jordany Valdespin followed with a hit before Wright brought everyone home with a towering shot to left, cutting the deficit to 6-5.
Drew started the Arizona fourth with a single and came around to score on a single by Bloomquist later in the inning to extend the lead to 7-5.
Jason Kubel ripped a double to left leading off the D-Backs fifth and scored on a single up the middle by Goldschmidt, widening the margin to 8-5.
Arizona put the game away with three runs in the seventh. Hill and Goldschmidt singled off Mets pitcher Elvin Ramirez around a Kubel strikeout to put two runners on base with two outs. Upton dropped a single in front of Torres in center to score Hill, and Young followed with his towering double into the left field corner to cap the scoring.
The Diamondbacks have scored six or more runs in an inning four times this season...Wright's home run snapped an 0-for-15 slump...Arizona has won seven of their last eight home games against the Mets...Young has hit safely in seven of his last eight games...The D-Backs went 7-for-9 with runners in scoring position and left just two on base, while the Mets went 2-for-7 with runners in scoring position and stranded five.
- NEW YORK: 5
Jul 28 12:15 AM
- Chris Young double to left scored Paul Goldschmidt and Justin Upton with two outs. Runner on second and Stephen Drew due up.
Mets 5, Diamondbacks 11 Bot 7, 2 OutsJul 27 11:50 PM
- Justin Upton single to center scored Aaron Hill with two outs. On the play, Paul Goldschmidt advances to second. Runners on first and second and Chris Young due up.
Mets 5, Diamondbacks 9 Bot 7, 2 OutsJul 27 11:48 PM
- Paul Goldschmidt single to center scored Jason Kubel with none out. Runner on first and Justin Upton due up.
Mets 5, Diamondbacks 8 Bot 5, 0 OutsJul 27 11:10 PM
- Willie Bloomquist single to left scored Stephen Drew with two outs. Runner on second and Aaron Hill due up.
Mets 5, Diamondbacks 7 Bot 4, 2 OutsJul 27 10:58 PM
- David Wright none-out, three-run Home Run (16) to left scored Ruben Tejada and Jordany Valdespin. Ike Davis due up.
Mets 5, Diamondbacks 6 Top 3, 0 OutsJul 27 10:30 PM
- Aaron Hill sacrifice fly to center scored Willie Bloomquist with two outs. None on and Jason Kubel due up.
Mets 2, Diamondbacks 6 Bot 2, 2 OutsJul 27 10:24 PM
- Willie Bloomquist infield single to pitcher scored Stephen Drew, Henry Blanco and Josh Collmenter with one out. On the play, Bloomquist advances to third on Jon Niese's throwing error. Runner on third and Aaron Hill due up.
Mets 2, Diamondbacks 5 Bot 2, 1 OutJul 27 10:23 PM
- Josh Collmenter single to right scored Chris Young with one out. On the play, Henry Blanco advances to second and Stephen Drew advances to third. Bases loaded and Willie Bloomquist due up.
Mets 2, Diamondbacks 2 Bot 2, 1 OutJul 27 10:18 PM
- Henry Blanco bases loaded walk scored Justin Upton with one out. Bases loaded and Josh Collmenter due up.
Mets 2, Diamondbacks 1 Bot 2, 1 OutJul 27 10:16 PM
- Justin Upton singled to right. Runner on first with one out and Chris Young due up.
Mets 2, Diamondbacks 0 Bot 2, 1 OutJul 27 10:07 PM
- Ike Davis lead-off Home Run (17) to right. Daniel Murphy due up.
Mets 1, Diamondbacks 0 Top 2, 0 OutsJul 27 9:53 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 27 9:40 PM
- Rockies close out homestand by whacking D-Backs again 8:45p
- Reds finish off sweep of Mets with ninth-inning surge Wed
- Aces Wild: Harvey, Latos square off in Citi Field finale Wed
- Series up for grabs when D'Backs, Rox play rubber match at Coors Wed
- Reds blank Mets Wed
- Rox slip by D-Backs in 10 Wed
- Reds hope to add to Mets' misery Tue
- Rockies, D'backs resume set at Coors Field Tue
- Corbin goes the distance in Diamondbacks' win over Rockies Tue
- Bruce's blast leads Reds over Mets Tue
- Mets take flyer on Aardsma Mon
- D'Backs, Rockies battle for NL West supremacy at Coors Mon