Hudson gets offensive support as Braves top RedsMay 16, 2012 - 2:48 AM
Hudson (2-1) scattered nine hits while walking two and striking out three. Martin Prado finished with three hits, an RBI and a run scored, Michael Bourn also smacked three hits and scored twice, and Brian McCann added a solo homer to help the Braves earn their fourth win in five tries.
Johnny Cueto (4-1) lasted just four innings, yielding a season-high six runs -- five earned -- on eight hits and two walks to suffer his first loss of the year. Ryan Hanigan and Drew Stubbs each plated a run for the Reds, who had their two-game win streak halted.
"Any lead is nice for a starting pitcher," said Hudson about the run support he received. "Obviously coming into tonight, we thought runs were going to be tough to get. Cueto's been tough all year. We were able to get to him kind of early and catch him on a tough night."
McCann's sixth homer of the season gave the Braves a 1-0 lead in the second before they blew the game open with four runs in the third.
Prado and Chipper Jones stroked consecutive one-out RBI singles into right field to give Atlanta a 3-0 edge before Dan Uggla made it a four-run margin with a sacrifice fly to right.
After McCann walked, Jason Heyward laced a double into right-center field, plating Jones from second to provide Atlanta with a 5-0 lead.
The Braves added another run in the fourth when Bourn singled and moved to second on Cueto's errant pickoff attempt. Prado then singled to left fielder Chris Heisey, who misplayed the ball and allowed Bourn to score to extend the Braves' lead to 6-0.
"To just split is tough," remarked Heisey. "But at the same time they've got a good club. Hopefully we can get back on track tomorrow."
Cincinnati plated two in the seventh as Todd Frazier ripped a leadoff single and Hanigan quickly scored him with a double into the right-field corner.
Hudson induced groundouts from the next two batters before Stubbs singled into center field, scoring Hanigan from second to bring the Reds within 6-2, but Kris Medlen and Craig Kimbrel each worked a scoreless inning in relief to close the door on a comeback bid.
Cincinnati dropped to 6-2 in games started by Cueto this year..Hudson improved to 4-1 in seven lifetime meetings with the Reds.
- CINCINNATI: 2
May 15 10:01 PM
- Drew Stubbs single to center scored Ryan Hanigan with two outs. Runner on first with two outs and Joey Votto due up.
Reds 2, Braves 6 Top 7, 2 OutsMay 15 9:16 PM
- Ryan Hanigan double to right scored Todd Frazier with none out. Runner on second and Alfredo Simon due up.
Reds 1, Braves 6 Top 7, 0 OutsMay 15 9:13 PM
- Martin Prado singled to left. On the play, Michael Bourn advances to home on Chris Heisey's fielding error. On the play, Martin Prado out at second. None on with two outs and Chipper Jones due up.
Reds 0, Braves 6 Bot 4, 2 OutsMay 15 8:29 PM
- Eric Hinske intentionally walked. Bases loaded with two outs and Jack Wilson due up.
Reds 0, Braves 5 Bot 3, 2 OutsMay 15 8:09 PM
- Dan Uggla sacrifice fly out to right scored Martin Prado with two outs. Runner on first with two outs and Brian McCann due up.
Reds 0, Braves 4 Bot 3, 2 OutsMay 15 8:01 PM
- Chipper Jones single to right scored Michael Bourn with one out. On the play, Martin Prado advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Dan Uggla due up.
Reds 0, Braves 3 Bot 3, 1 OutMay 15 7:59 PM
- Martin Prado single to right scored Tim Hudson with one out. On the play, Michael Bourn advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Chipper Jones due up.
Reds 0, Braves 2 Bot 3, 1 OutMay 15 7:58 PM
- Brian McCann one-out, solo Home Run (6) to right. Jason Heyward due up.
Reds 0, Braves 1 Bot 2, 1 OutMay 15 7:37 PM
- CINCINNATI: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 15 7:11 PM
- Reds finish off sweep of Mets with ninth-inning surge Wed
- Braves hammer Twins to complete series sweep Wed
- Aces Wild: Harvey, Latos square off in Citi Field finale Wed
- Braves eye sweep of Twins in matinee affair Wed
- Reds blank Mets Wed
- Braves rally past Twins to extend streak Wed
- Twins rely on Pelfrey in Atlanta Tue
- Reds hope to add to Mets' misery Tue
- Teheran, Braves stifle Twins Tue
- Bruce's blast leads Reds over Mets Tue
- Reds activate Cueto from DL Mon
- Reds activate Cueto from DL Mon