Hudson shuts down PadresAug 15, 2012 - 2:39 AM
Hudson (12-4) allowed just two hits and a walk with four strikeouts to win his sixth straight decision. Jonny Venters, Luis Avilan and Craig Kimbrel shut down the Padres the rest of the way.
Martin Prado clubbed a three-run home run and Dan Uggla launched a solo shot. Chipper Jones and Freddie Freeman knocked in a run for the Braves, who avoided losing three straight games for the first time since July 21-23.
"It was one of his best performances," Uggla said. "They really didn't have a chance all night. He went out there and battled, and just kept getting me and Freddie ground balls. That's what we like to see from him."
Clayton Richard (9-12) was saddled with the loss after yielding five runs on nine hits over 6 1/3 frames. His three-start unbeaten streak was broken. He's 0-5 lifetime against the Braves.
Yonder Alonso registered two hits for the Padres, who had won seven of their previous eight games.
Michael Bourn got things rolling for the Braves in the first inning with a leadoff triple and scored on a groundout by Freeman.
Mark Kotsay got the first hit of the night for the Padres in the fifth, but Hudson retired the next three hitters to keep the lead intact.
The Braves extended their lead in the home portion of the inning when Uggla got a middle-in fastball from Richard leading off the frame and yanked it over the wall down the left-field line.
Prado and Freeman began the Atlanta sixth with back-to-back singles before Jones ripped an RBI single up the middle.
Hudson allowed a one-out single to Alonso in the seventh and Venters walked pinch-hitter Logan Forsythe with two outs to bring the tying run to the plate. Venters escaped unscathed after fanning Cameron Maybin for the final out of the inning.
Prado put the game away for the Braves in the home half of the seventh after he got a fastball down and in from Padres reliever Brad Boxberger and clobbered it over the wall in center field.
Padres pitcher Tom Layne was called up from Double-A San Antonio prior to the game and made his major league debut out of the bullpen in the eighth inning.
He's made 11 starts in the minors this season, posting an 0-10 mark with a 6.37 ERA, but for one inning Tuesday he was perfect as he fanned Brian McCann, Uggla and pinch-hitter Tyler Pastornicky.
"I threw in last night's game in Double-A, and got a call last night that I was coming here. It was surreal," Layne said. "I don't know that I've ever struck out the side before. It was a cool night, a night I'll never forget, that's for sure."
Hudson hasn't lost since July 1 against the Washington Nationals ... Hudson is 134-3 in his career when given a three-run lead in his starts and improved to 6-0 in his career against San Diego ... Jones has hit safely in 33 of his last 39 games ... Uggla's homer snapped an 0-for-10 slump ... It was the Braves' seventh shutout this season, while the Padres were blanked for the 10th time.
- SAN DIEGO: 0
Aug 14 9:48 PM
- Luis Avilan starts the inning for the Braves, batting 7th.
Padres 0, Braves 6 Top 8, 0 OutsAug 14 9:19 PM
- Chipper Jones singled to center scored Martin Prado. On the play, Freddie Freeman advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Brian McCann due up.
Padres 0, Braves 3 Bot 6, 0 OutsAug 14 8:37 PM
- Dan Uggla lead-off Home Run (14) to left. Reed Johnson due up.
Padres 0, Braves 2 Bot 5, 0 OutsAug 14 8:18 PM
- Freddie Freeman grounded out to first scored Michael Bourn. None on with two outs and Chipper Jones due up.
Padres 0, Braves 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsAug 14 7:23 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 14 7:11 PM
- Braves hand Mets' Marcum another loss 11:07p
- Blanco fuels Giants rally, win over Padres 10:17p
- Hamstring strain sends Padres' Cabrera to DL 2:28p
- Mets shoot for another win against Braves 2:11p
- Padres try to rebound, aim for series win over Giants 2:10p
- Perez lifts Giants past Padres Wed
- Wheeler wins MLB debut as Mets take two from Braves Wed
- Harvey fans 13 as Mets hold off Braves Tue
- Wheeler debuts for Mets in doubleheader against Braves Tue
- Giants' Cain gets nod in matchup with Padres Tue
- Braves place Gattis on DL Tue
- Padres outlast Giants in 13 innings Tue