Billingsley, Dodgers shut out Braves to take seriesAug 19, 2012 - 9:21 PM Atlanta, GA (Sports Network) - Chad Billingsley scattered three hits over seven shutout innings to guide the Los Angeles Dodgers to a 5-0 win over the Atlanta Braves in the finale of a three-game set at Turner Field.
Billingsley (10-9) struck out four and walked two en route to his sixth consecutive win.
"(Billingsley) did a good job, we didn't even score," Braves center fielder Michael Bourn said. "He shut us down, there is nothing you can do about that. You have to tip your cap to him, he pitched a great game. He had us off balance and we couldn't get anything going against him."
Luis Cruz homered and Mark Ellis had two hits and drove in four runs for the Dodgers, who have won six of their last eight.
"It took me 160-something at bats to get one (home run)," Cruz said. "I feel really good, I've been working a lot, and I'm seeing the ball good. I'm just concentrating to put the bat on the ball and making a good swing."
Jason Heyward tripled and Michael Bourn had a base hit for the Braves, who have dropped two in a row on the heels of a four-game winning streak.
Mike Minor (6-10) was pegged with the loss despite giving up just one run on five hits over seven innings. Minor is 0-3 over his last four starts and hasn't won since July 28 when the Braves beat the Philadelphia Phillies, 2-1.
Los Angeles loaded the bases with no outs in the third, but Minor was able to escape with no harm done. Shane Victorino flew out to right before Mark Ellis grounded into an inning-ending double play.
Cruz cracked a solo homer deep into the left field seats to put the Dodgers up 1-0 in the fifth.
Atlanta wasted an opportunity to get on the board in the sixth. Bourn singled and stole second with one out. Martin Prado grounded out allowing Bourn to move to third, but Heyward struck out to end the inning, standing Bourn on third.
Los Angeles added one more in the eighth to go up 2-0. Pinch-hitter Juan Uribe walked then moved to third when Victorino slapped a single through the hole at short on a hit-and-run. Ellis followed with a towering fly ball to right that Heyward circled under, but he lost the ball in the sun. The ball landed next to Heyward, but Uribe was able to score without a throw.
"Some of the breaks didn't go our way, there were some tough balls in the sky," Bourn said.
Andre Either later drew a walk to load the bases, but the Braves minimized the damage once again as Cristhian Martinez was able to get pinch-hitter James Loney to line out to first.
The Dodgers tacked on three more in the ninth. With the bases loaded, Ellis ripped a double down the third base line to clear the bases.
The Dodgers have won 10 of its last 13 road games, and have gone 14-6 in 20 road games since the All-Star break ... Los Angeles won its 20th series of the year ... After going 0-for-5 Dodgers short stop Hanley Ramirez had a five-game multi-hit streak snapped ... The Braves are 18-16 in day games this season ... Minor has allowed 24 homers this season.
- LOS ANGELES: 5
Aug 19 4:32 PM
- Mark Ellis doubled to left scoring A.J. Ellis, Adam Kennedy and Shane Victorino. Runner on second with one out and Matt Kemp due up.
Dodgers 5, Braves 0 Top 9, 1 OutAug 19 4:19 PM
- Mark Ellis singled to right scoring Juan Uribe. On the play, Shane Victorino advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Matt Kemp due up.
Dodgers 2, Braves 0 Top 8, 0 OutsAug 19 3:45 PM
- Chad Billingsley singled to right. On the play, A.J. Ellis advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Shane Victorino due up.
Dodgers 1, Braves 0 Top 5, 1 OutAug 19 2:54 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 19 1:39 PM
- Lynn tosses Cards over Dodgers 1:48a
- Braves hope to stay hot on road as they visit Mets Fri
- Dodgers return home to face Cards Fri
- Dodgers batter Brewers in series finale Wed
- Braves hammer Twins to complete series sweep Wed
- Ryu leads Dodgers into finale at Milwaukee Wed
- Braves eye sweep of Twins in matinee affair Wed
- Brewers down Dodgers Wed
- Braves rally past Twins to extend streak Wed
- Twins rely on Pelfrey in Atlanta Tue
- Greinke gets ball for Dodgers against Brewers Tue
- Kershaw's CG helps Dodgers edge Brewers Mon