Pagan carries Giants over BravesAug 25, 2012 - 6:48 AM
Pagan scored twice and also knocked in a run, while Marco Scutaro, Pablo Sandoval and Buster Posey added an RBI apiece for the Giants, who won their fifth straight contest.
Ryan Vogelsong (11-7) allowed three runs on four hits and a walk with five strikeouts over 6 1/3 frames to snap a two-game slid.
"He's definitely been our spark plug," Vogelsong said of Pagan. "It's been fun to watch."
Javier Lopez recorded the final out of the eighth and then fired a perfect ninth to nail down his fourth save of the season.
Ben Sheets (4-4) gave up four runs on nine hits and three walks over 4 1/3 innings to absorb the loss.
"I hate the way I pitched," Sheets lamented. "I feel like I made some good pitches, just didn't put anybody away."
Freddie Freeman hit two homers and Jason Heyward also went deep, but the Braves lost for the sixth time in their last seven games.
Heyward clubbed a two-out homer in the first to give Atlanta an early lead and Freeman pressed the advantage to 2-0 in the second when he crushed a leadoff blast to center field.
The Giants, who wasted a bases-loaded chance in the second when Vogelsong grounded into a double play, countered in the third as Pagan doubled to start the frame, moved to third on a bunt and scored easily on Sandoval's two-bagger to left field.
Posey's fly out pushed Sandoval to third and, after Hunter Pence walked, Sheets uncorked a wild pitch, allowing Sandoval to score and tie the game.
San Francisco plated two more in the fourth to grab the lead for good. Gregor Blanco singled to start the inning and moved to second two batters later on Vogelsong's bunt.
Pagan then scorched a triple into right field to plate Blanco and Scutaro followed with a single to score Pagan for a 4-2 lead.
The Giants couldn't capitalize again with the bases full in the fifth, but tacked on a run in the sixth. Pagan smacked a leadoff single, but was wiped away on Scutaro's fielder's choice.
Scutaro moved to second on Sandoval's fly out to center field before scoring on Posey's line-drive double that tipped off Chipper Jones' glove at third and rolled into left field to extend the lead to 5-2.
Freeman then launched his second homer of the night into right field in the seventh, chasing Vogelsong from the contest.
Jose Mijares entered and served up a single to Brian McCann before Santiago Casilla took over on the mound and retired the next two Braves to maintain the Giants' two-run advantage.
Sergio Romo and Lopez combined to blank the Braves in the eighth before Lopez retired the side in order in the ninth.
It was the third multi-homer game of Freeman's career and his second this season ... Pagan also had a four-hit game on Aug. 3 against the Colorado Rockies ... Posey had missed the last two games with a tight right hamstring ... The Giants went 5-for-13 with runners in scoring position and left 12 on base.
- ATLANTA: 3
SAN FRANCISCO: 5
Aug 25 1:10 AM
- Freddie Freeman one-out, solo Home Run 2 (17) to right. Brian McCann due up.
Braves 3, Giants 5 Top 7, 1 OutAug 25 12:21 AM
- Buster Posey doubled to left scored Marco Scutaro. Runner on second with two outs and Hunter Pence due up.
Braves 2, Giants 5 Bot 6, 2 OutsAug 25 12:14 AM
- Marco Scutaro single to right scored Angel Pagan with two outs. Runner on first and Pablo Sandoval due up.
Braves 2, Giants 4 Bot 4, 2 OutsAug 24 11:25 PM
- Angel Pagan triple to right scored Gregor Blanco with two outs. Runner on third and Marco Scutaro due up.
Braves 2, Giants 3 Bot 4, 2 OutsAug 24 11:23 PM
- Pablo Sandoval scored on Ben Sheets wild pitch with two outs. Hunter Pence advances to second on a wild pitch. Runner on second with two outs and Brandon Belt at the plate.
Braves 2, Giants 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 24 11:11 PM
- Buster Posey flied out to right. On the play, Pablo Sandoval advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Hunter Pence due up.
Braves 2, Giants 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 24 11:02 PM
- Brian McCann flied out to center. None on with one out and Dan Uggla due up.
Braves 2, Giants 0 Top 2, 1 OutAug 24 10:36 PM
- Jason Heyward two-out, solo Home Run (22) to left center. Chipper Jones due up.
Braves 1, Giants 0 Top 1, 2 OutsAug 24 10:19 PM
- ATLANTA: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 24 10:19 PM
- Giants officially re-sign Vogelsong Dec 4
- Venters, Pena agree to terms with Braves Dec 2
- Giants to re-sign Vogelsong Nov 29
- Giants re-sign LHP Lopez to 3-year deal Nov 26
- Giants land Hudson with 2-year deal Nov 19
- Giants land Hudson with 2-year deal Nov 18
- Braves leaving Turner Field after 2016 Nov 11
- Braves give McCann qualifying offer Nov 4
- Torre, La Russa, Cox among Hall Expansion Era eligibles Nov 4
- Giants decline option on Barry Zito Nov 2
- Giants make it official with Lincecum Oct 25
- Giants, Lincecum agree on 2-year deal Oct 22