Teagarden's blast lifts O's over Tigers in 13Jul 15, 2012 - 4:36 AM
Teagarden, who was activated off the 60-day disabled list on Saturday, blasted a two-run homer in the bottom of the 13th inning to send Baltimore to an 8-6 win over the Detroit Tigers.
Teagarden was traded from Texas to Baltimore in the offseason, but he didn't play for the parent club until Saturday due to a lower back strain. He entered the game as a defensive replacement in the 11th inning and struck out to leave a runner in scoring position, just after Adam Jones tied the game with an RBI single.
Quintin Berry singled in Danny Worth in the top of the 13th to give the Tigers a 6-5 edge, but Joaquin Benoit (1-2) served up a one-out homer to J.J. Hardy, who snapped an 0-for-28 slump. Benoit then hit Jones with a pitch with two outs. Teagarden then smacked a 1-2 pitch barely over the wall in right, just to the left of the scoreboard, for his first career walk-off homer to give the Orioles their 10th straight extra-inning victory.
"I got a fastball up," Teagarden said. "I think these guys were trying to elevate on me because they knew I probably wasn't as fresh as the other guys as far as seeing Benoit. I think they were trying to get me to chase up. That one, I just shortened my swing and it caught a little bit of the plate."
There were a total of 427 pitches thrown in the game, just two by Kevin Gregg (3-2), who was credited with the win. He retired Austin Jackson on a fielder's choice to end the top of the 13th.
The Tigers, who had a six-game winning streak snapped, scored three times in the ninth and got an RBI single from Alex Avila in the 11th, only to see the Orioles take the middle test of this three-game set.
"It was just a terrific game, Major League Baseball at its best," Tigers manager Jim Leyland said. "It doesn't get any better than that."
The Tigers forced extras with a three-run ninth against Jim Johnson. Miguel Cabrera singled then moved to second when Delmon Young reached on a Ryan Flaherty fielding error. Jhonny Peralta followed with an RBI single, Brennan Boesch then scored Young on a double and after pinch-hitter Avila fanned, Berry tied the game with a base hit. The frame ended on that play when Boesch was thrown out at home to keep it 4-4.
Prince Fielder and Jim Thome traded RBI doubles in the first inning, and Robert Andino's two-run homer gave the O's a 3-1 lead in the second.
Jones scored on a Chris Davis fielder's choice in the fourth.
Prior to the game, the Orioles selected the contract of pitcher Miguel Socolovich from Triple-A Norfolk, optioned catcher Ronny Paulino to Norfolk and designated pitcher Dana Eveland for assignment...The Tigers placed pitcher Drew Smyly on the 15-day disabled list and selected the contract of pitcher Luis Marte from Triple-A Toledo...Jackson went 0-for-6 and saw his 16-game hitting streak snapped...The teams combined to leave 23 men on base in the 4- hour, 43-minute marathon...Tigers starter Max Scherzer lasted five innings, while Baltimore's Wei-Yin Chen threw the first six frames.
- DETROIT: 6
Jul 14 8:53 PM
- Taylor Teagarden two-out, two-run Home Run (1) to right scored Adam Jones to end the game.
Tigers 6, Orioles 8 Bot 13, 2 OutsJul 14 8:52 PM
- J.J. Hardy one-out, solo Home Run (13) to left. Jim Thome due up.
Tigers 6, Orioles 6 Bot 13, 1 OutJul 14 8:45 PM
- Quintin Berry singled to center scored Danny Worth. On the play, Alex Avila advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Austin Jackson due up.
Tigers 6, Orioles 5 Top 13, 2 OutsJul 14 8:36 PM
- Taylor Teagarden struck out swinging to end the inning.
Tigers 5, Orioles 5 End 11Jul 14 8:06 PM
- Alex Avila singled to center scored Delmon Young. On the play, Brennan Boesch advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Quintin Berry due up.
Tigers 5, Orioles 4 Top 11, 2 OutsJul 14 7:46 PM
- Quintin Berry singled to left scored Danny Worth. On the play, Brennan Boesch tagged out at home to end the inning.
Tigers 4, Orioles 4 Mid 9Jul 14 7:04 PM
- Alex Avila is pinch-hitting for Gerald Laird.
Tigers 3, Orioles 4 Top 9, 1 OutJul 14 6:59 PM
- Jhonny Peralta singled to center scored Miguel Cabrera. On the play, Delmon Young advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Brennan Boesch due up.
Tigers 2, Orioles 4 Top 9, 1 OutJul 14 6:56 PM
- Chris Davis grounded into a fielder's choice, second to short scored Adam Jones. Matt Wieters out at second. Runner on first with two outs and Mark Reynolds due up.
Tigers 1, Orioles 4 Bot 3, 2 OutsJul 14 5:08 PM
- Robert Andino two-out, two-run Home Run (5) to left scored Chris Davis. Nick Markakis due up.
Tigers 1, Orioles 3 Bot 2, 2 OutsJul 14 4:48 PM
- Jim Thome doubled to left scored Nick Markakis. Runner on second with one out and Adam Jones due up.
Tigers 1, Orioles 1 Bot 1, 1 OutJul 14 4:25 PM
- Prince Fielder doubled to left scored Austin Jackson. Runner on second with two outs and Delmon Young due up.
Tigers 1, Orioles 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJul 14 4:19 PM
- DETROIT: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 14 4:08 PM
- Davis homers twice as Orioles rout Tigers 8:04p
- Tillman, Orioles conclude set at Detroit 2:15p
- Jones powers O's past Tigers Wed
- O's summon Britton for Tuesday start Tue
- Tigers ace Verlander toes rubber versus Orioles Tue
- Scherzer remains unbeaten, Tigers down O's Mon
- Tigers place Sanchez, Avila on DL Mon
- Scherzer aims for 10-0 start in opener with O's Mon
- Hunter hits 300th HR, leads Tigers past Twins Sun
- Orioles take series from Red Sox Sun
- Red Sox try to secure split of 4-game set with O's Sun
- Twins eye series victory over Tigers Sun