Rockies edge CubsAug 25, 2012 - 11:25 PM
Andrew Brown hit his first major league home run and Josh Rutledge hit a two- run blast for Colorado, which rebounded from losing the series opener, 5-3, to win for the sixth time in seven games.
"It was a nice milestone," Brown said. "Hopefully it's not the last. To come where we needed this win after yesterday's game, it was a great feeling to come through at the time. It is a memory and I'll never forget it."
Alex White was tagged for three runs -- two earned -- on five hits with four strikeouts over four innings. Carlos Torres (3-1) tossed 2 1/3 innings of scoreless relief to earn the win.
Brett Jackson homered for the second straight day, but the Cubs have dropped four of their last five contests.
Brooks Raley, who was recalled from Triple-A Iowa prior to the game, surrendered two runs in five innings while striking out four to pick up a no decision.
Manuel Corpas (0-1) gave up the tying and winning runs in 1 1/3 innings of work to take the loss.
"I thought (Raley) did a nice job," Cubs manager Dale Sveum said. "Corpas gives up the solo home run and we couldn't pull off a couple double plays that were sitting right in our laps right there. It kind of changed the game around."
After the Cubs scored three runs in the fourth inning, the Rockies immediately began chipping away at their lead. Jonathan Herrera dribbled a single up the middle to start the fifth and Rutledge smashed a first-pitch changeup over the left-field fence to bring the Rockies within a run.
Brown tied the game when he crushed a slider onto Waveland Avenue to leadoff the sixth inning.
Torres led off the seventh inning with a base hit before the Rockies capitalized on a crucial mistake. DJ LaMahieu hit a ground ball to shortstop Starlin Castro, who stepped on the bag at second for the first out but threw wide to first to allow LaMahieu to reach.
Jordan Pacheco followed with a live drive to right field to move LaMahieu to third, putting runners on the corners for Carlos Gonzalez. Gonzalez, facing Alex Hinshaw, hit a ground ball to first base, but he raced down the first- base line to avoid a double play and allow LaMahieu to score.
The Cubs put two on with one out in the bottom of the seventh, but Rex Brothers came on to strike out David DeJesus and Joe Mather was caught stealing second base to end the threat.
Rafael Betancourt retired the side in order in the ninth to record his 26th save of the season.
The Cubs scored all three of their runs in the fourth inning. Alfonso Soriano and Castro started the inning with a pair of singles, placing runners on first and third. After Castro was caught stealing at second base, Soriano scored when Chris Nelson bobbled the transfer on a ground ball to third base.
Jackson followed by lofting a fly ball to left-center field which, with the help of a strong wind, reached the basket to expand the Cubs' lead to three.
The Cubs optioned pitcher Chris Rusin to Iowa prior to the game to make room for Raley ... The Cubs are 5-19 in their last 24 games ... White has gone 10 starts without a win, dating back to June 3 ... Colorado went 0-for-3 with runners in scoring position and left six on base ... Chicago went 0-for-4 with runners in scoring position and stranded four.
- COLORADO: 4
Aug 25 4:06 PM
- Carlos Gonzalez advances to second on a Alberto Cabrera wild pitch. Runner on second with two outs and Wilin Rosario at the plate.
Rockies 4, Cubs 3 Top 7, 2 OutsAug 25 3:22 PM
- Andrew Brown lead-off Home Run (1) to left. Chris Nelson due up.
Rockies 3, Cubs 3 Top 6, 0 OutsAug 25 2:55 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Josh Rutledge none-out, two-run Home Run (7) to left scored Jonathan Herrera. DJ LeMahieu due up.
Rockies 2, Cubs 3 Top 5, 0 OutsAug 25 2:37 PM
- Brett Jackson one-out, two-run Home Run (3) to left center scored Welington Castillo. Darwin Barney due up.
Rockies 0, Cubs 3 Bot 4, 1 OutAug 25 2:29 PM
- Welington Castillo reached first on Chris Nelson's fielding error scored Alfonso Soriano. Runner on first with one out and Brett Jackson due up. NOTE: Credit Castillo with an RBI.
Rockies 0, Cubs 1 Bot 4, 1 OutAug 25 2:29 PM
- COLORADO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 25 1:06 PM
- Rockies, D'backs resume set at Coors Field 10:44a
- Cubs' Garza makes 2013 debut at Pittsburgh 10:43a
- Corbin goes the distance in Diamondbacks' win over Rockies 1:26a
- D'Backs, Rockies battle for NL West supremacy at Coors Mon
- Nicasio sharp as Rockies blank slumping Giants Sun
- Murphy's homer lifts Mets over Cubs Sun
- Series up for grabs, as Mets and Cubs battle at Wrigley Sun
- Rockies target series win versus Zito and Giants Sun
- Rockies rout Giants behind Chatwood Sun
- Feldman shines as Cubs rout Mets Sat
- Yankees pick up Brignac from Colorado Sat
- Hefner eyes first win of season at Wrigley Sat