Pierzynski homers in 5th straight game; ChiSox down AngelsAug 6, 2012 - 12:10 AM Chicago, IL (Sports Network) - A.J. Pierzynski made it five straight games with a home run on Sunday afternoon, as his two-run blast in the seventh inning helped the White Sox beat the Angels, 4-2, in the rubber match of a three-game series.
Pierzynski came on as a pinch-hitter in the seventh with a runner on first. He smacked Jason Isringhausen's offer over the wall in right-center field to put Chicago in front.
Pierzynski tied the franchise record for consecutive games with a home run. Paul Konerko accomplished the feat from June 17-21, 2011.
"Of course, of course. Just waiting for the right time to unleash him," said White Sox manager Robin Ventura with a laugh about knowing Pierzynski would homer. "He's as strong as anybody, so when he hits it, it's going to go."
Kevin Youkilis added a solo homer for the White Sox, who won their fourth consecutive series.
Chicago starter Francisco Liriano gave up one run on four hits over five innings before leaving with a right quad contusion. He was hit by a Maicer Izturis grounder in the fifth. Nate Jones (5-0) allowed one run on four hits over two innings of relief to pick up the win.
Torii Hunter and Mike Trout each had an RBI for the Angels, who have lost four of five.
Dan Haren gave up one run on four hits over six innings. Jason Isringhausen (3-2) allowed two runs on three hits without recording an out in the seventh for Los Angeles, which fell to 3-4 on a 10-game road trip.
"We knew this was going to be a tough trip," Haren said.
Los Angeles broke a scoreless tie in the fifth. Izturis led off with an infield single off Liriano's leg. Peter Bourjos followed with a bunt single and both runners advanced a base on Bobby Wilson's sacrifice bunt. Trout's sacrifice fly made it a 1-0 game.
The Angels had a chance to extend their lead in the sixth. With the bases loaded and one out, Izturis grounded into a double play.
Youkilis hit a solo homer to left in the bottom half to tie the game at one.
Los Angeles went back in front in the seventh. Bourjos walked, moved to second on a sacrifice bunt and scored on Hunter's single to left.
But Pierzynski put the White Sox on top for good in the bottom half. Dayan Viciedo singled and crossed the plate on Pierzynski's blast to right-center field.
Chicago tacked on an insurance run in the eighth. Konerko led off with a single and scored on Alexei Ramirez's triple to right-center field. Hunter almost made a great diving catch as the ball deflected off the top of his glove.
Addison Reed tossed a scoreless ninth to pick up his 19th save of the season.
The White Sox lead the season series, 3-2...Haren returned to the Angels rotation on Sunday after being scratched from his last scheduled start.
- LOS ANGELES: 2
Aug 5 5:08 PM
- Alexei Ramirez triple to right center scored Ray Olmedo with one out. Runner on third and Jordan Danks due up.
Angels 2, White Sox 4 Bot 8, 1 OutAug 5 4:48 PM
- Pinch-Hitter A.J. Pierzynski none-out, two-run Home Run (21) to right center scored Jordan Danks. Gordon Beckham due up.
Angels 2, White Sox 3 Bot 7, 0 OutsAug 5 4:18 PM
- Torii Hunter single to left scored Peter Bourjos with two outs. On the play, Torii Hunter out at second to end the inning.
Angels 2, White Sox 1 Mid 7Aug 5 4:10 PM
- Kevin Youkilis lead-off Home Run (13) to left. Adam Dunn due up.
Angels 1, White Sox 1 Bot 6, 0 OutsAug 5 3:52 PM
- Torii Hunter popped out to short to end the inning.
Angels 1, White Sox 0 Mid 5Aug 5 3:32 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 5 2:10 PM
- Buchholz, Red Sox down ChiSox 11:35p
- Wilson leads surging Angels past sinking Mariners 10:05p
- Red Sox try to avoid the brooms in Chicago 10:36a
- Angels hope to continue offensive onslaught versus Mariners 10:19a
- Angels crush Mariners behind Trout's cycle Wed
- Quintana, ChiSox shut down Red Sox Wed
- Sale will not pitch on Wednesday Tue
- Red Sox hope to bounce back against White Sox Tue
- Mariners continue road trip in Anaheim Tue
- Dunn, White Sox hand Boston's Lester first loss Tue
- Lester carries unblemished record into the Windy City Mon
- Vargas pitches Angels past White Sox Sun