Youkilis slams ChiSox over YanksAug 22, 2012 - 5:19 AM
Paul Konerko went 2-for-4 with a solo homer while Gordon Beckham also had two hits and drove in a run for the Sox, who had lost three in a row before taking the first two meetings of this three-game series.
Francisco Liriano (5-10) earned a second straight victory after allowing two runs on six hits over six frames. He struck out seven and walked three.
"We had some opportunities, but (Liriano) made some big pitches when he had to," Yankees manager Joe Girardi said. "We made him work, we just weren't able to get a lot of runs off him."
Ivan Nova (11-7) also pitched six innings, but surrendered six runs on seven hits to take the loss, New York's fourth in its last six games.
Derek Jeter homered on the game's first pitch, and the Yankees were knocking on the door for more when they loaded the bases with one out later in the first.
Liriano limited the damage to one more run on Curtis Granderson's fielder's choice groundout, and Chicago scored the next six runs to take control.
Alex Rios tripled leading off the second and trotted home on A.J. Pierzynski's sacrifice fly, and Konerko's 21st homer of the season tied it in the fourth.
Alexei Ramirez sparked the Sox's pivotal fifth with a one-out double, and a walk to Beckham and a single by DeWayne Wise loaded the bases for Youkilis. Nova threw the first ball in the dirt and the second just off the outside part of the plate.
Youkilis reached out at the second offering and appeared to hit it off the top of his bat. But the fly ball to right field kept carrying and narrowly cleared the right-field wall for his third career grand slam.
"I was trying to drive the ball to the outfield, and I was fortunate it got over the fence," Youkilis said.
Russell Martin belted a solo homer off Jesse Crain in the seventh to cut the Yankees' deficit to 6-3, but Chicago got the run back in the eight as Pierzynski legged out a triple and scored on Beckham's two-out base hit.
Brett Myers shook off a leadoff walk in the ninth to secure Chicago's first season series victory over the Yankees since 2003.
Chicago has won four of six in the season series, which ends Wednesday ... The White Sox recorded 12 hits, four from Wise but none from Dayan Viciedo, who went 0-for-4 to snap an 11-game hitting streak ... Jeter's 29th career leadoff homer moved him past Eddie Murray for sole possession of 11th on the all-time hits list with 3,256 hits ... Before the game the White Sox placed outfielder Alejandro De Aza on the 15-day disabled list and recalled outfielder Jordan Danks from Triple-A Charlotte.
- NEW YORK: 3
Aug 21 10:48 PM
- Gordon Beckham singled to right scoring A.J. Pierzynski with two out. Runner on first and DeWayne Wise due up.
Yankees 3, White Sox 7 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 21 10:39 PM
- Russell Martin lead-off Home Run (14) to left. Derek Jeter due up.
Yankees 3, White Sox 6 Top 7, 0 OutsAug 21 10:05 PM
- Kevin Youkilis one-out, Grand Slam (15) to right scored Alexei Ramirez, Gordon Beckham and DeWayne Wise. Adam Dunn due up.
Yankees 2, White Sox 6 Bot 5, 1 OutAug 21 9:44 PM
- Paul Konerko one-out, solo Home Run (21) to left. Alex Rios due up.
Yankees 2, White Sox 2 Bot 4, 1 OutAug 21 9:19 PM
- A.J. Pierzynski sacrifice fly out to left scored Alex Rios with one out. None on and Dayan Viciedo due up.
Yankees 2, White Sox 1 Bot 2, 1 OutAug 21 8:45 PM
- Curtis Granderson grounded into a fielder's choice, first to short scoring Nick Swisher with two out. On the play, Andruw Jones out at second and Mark Teixeira advances to third. Runners on first and third and Jayson Nix due up.
Yankees 2, White Sox 0 Top 1, 2 OutsAug 21 8:25 PM
- Derek Jeter lead-off Home Run (12) to left. Nick Swisher due up.
Yankees 1, White Sox 0 Top 1, 0 OutsAug 21 8:10 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 21 8:10 PM
- Angels outslug White Sox to end skid 8:45p
- Yanks continue home dominance of Jays 7:32p
- Yankees pick up Brignac from Colorado 1:00p
- Yanks try to continue home mastery of Blue Jays 9:28a
- White Sox aim to stay hot in Anaheim 9:28a
- Sale, White Sox shut out Angels Sat
- Kuroda, Yankees blank Jays Sat
- Pettitte heads to DL Fri
- Blue Jays face tough test in the Bronx Fri
- White Sox rely on Sale in Anaheim Fri
- White Sox rally past Angels Fri
- Mariners defeat Yanks to take series rubber match Fri