Gallardo shines, Brewers hand Reds second straight lossAug 7, 2012 - 11:27 AM
Gallardo (10-8) gave up one run on six hits and struck out four. It was the second start in a row Gallardo held an opponent to just one run and the 10th time this season he has surrendered one or fewer earned runs.
"(Gallardo) had good command on his fastball again," Milwaukee manager Ron Roenicke said. "He also had really good command of his slider. He pitched a good game."
Corey Hart and Aramis Ramirez hit back-to-back homers and Martin Maldonado belted a two-run shot, all within a span of four batters in the sixth inning. Maldonado finished the game 3-for-4 with two doubles and three RBI, as the Brewers bounced back with a win after being swept by the Cardinals.
John Axford recorded the final five outs to pick up his 18th save of the season.
Bronson Arroyo (7-7) was saddled with the loss after giving up five runs on 10 hits over 5 1/3 innings. Arroyo struck out five and didn't walk a batter as he fell for the first time in four starts.
"I'm always comfortable in this ballpark. I knew keeping the ball down was going to be at a premium today," Arroyo said. "They put some good swings on balls and played a good game."
Zack Cozart went 2-for-5 with a solo homer and Dioner Navarro and Xavier Paul each drove in a run for the Reds, who lost for the second straight game and just their third time in 18 tries.
Gallardo retired Brandon Phillips on a ground ball in the fifth to leave a pair of runners in scoring position. He helped his own cause with an RBI single to left-center in the bottom of the frame to drive in Maldonado, who had doubled.
Ramirez homered to left-center with one out in the sixth and Hart followed with a towering shot to the same part of the park. Rickie Weeks then singled, and Maldonado sent a ball to the wall in left that barely got out.
Trailing 5-0 in the seventh, Cozart lifted a solo homer to put the NL Central leaders on the board.
Cincinnati added two more in the eighth to make it 5-3, but the Reds could have possibly tied the game had it not been for a nice catch by right fielder Norichika Aoki.
Jay Bruce singled and Scott Rolen doubled to put runners at second and third with one out. After Todd Frazier walked, Paul slapped a pinch-hit single to right to push Bruce across. Navarro followed with a sacrifice fly to plate Rolen. Navarro's ball was caught by a sliding Aoki in right-center.
"I thought I hit it good, I thought for sure it was going to be in the gap," Navarro said. "Aoki made a spectacular play. Who knows what would have happened if he hadn't made a diving catch."
Maldonado's RBI ground-rule double in the home half capped the scoring.
The Brewers have hit back-to-back homers five times this season...Milwaukee improved to 24-25 against the NL Central and 42-26 in games it homers...Phillips, who missed the last five games with a left calf strain, went 0-for-4...The Reds have gone 19-5 in 24 games since the All-Star break.
- CINCINNATI: 3
Aug 6 11:05 PM
- Martin Maldonado ground-rule doubled to right center scored Rickie Weeks. Runner on second with two outs and Jean Segura due up.
Reds 3, Brewers 6 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 6 10:55 PM
- Dioner Navarro sacrifice fly out to right scored Scott Rolen. Runners on first and second and with two outs and Zack Cozart due up.
Reds 3, Brewers 5 Top 8, 2 OutsAug 6 10:41 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Xavier Paul singled to right scored Jay Bruce. On the play, Todd Frazier advances to second and Scott Rolen advances to third. Bases loaded with one out and Dioner Navarro due up.
Reds 2, Brewers 5 Top 8, 1 OutAug 6 10:38 PM
- Norichika Aoki grounded out to first. None on with one out and Carlos Gomez due up.
Reds 1, Brewers 5 Bot 7, 1 OutAug 6 10:13 PM
- Martin Maldonado one-out, two-run Home Run (6) to left scored Rickie Weeks. Jean Segura due up.
Reds 0, Brewers 5 Bot 6, 1 OutAug 6 9:58 PM
- Corey Hart one-out, solo Home Run (21) to center. Rickie Weeks due up.
Reds 0, Brewers 3 Bot 6, 1 OutAug 6 9:51 PM
- Aramis Ramirez one-out, solo Home Run (14) to left center. Corey Hart due up.
Reds 0, Brewers 2 Bot 6, 1 OutAug 6 9:50 PM
- Yovani Gallardo singled to left scored Martin Maldonado. Runner on first with one out and Norichika Aoki due up.
Reds 0, Brewers 1 Bot 5, 1 OutAug 6 9:32 PM
- CINCINNATI: 0
Aug 6 8:16 PM
- Royals acquire Aoki from Brewers Thu
- Rays acquire C Hanigan, P Bell in 3-team deal Dec 3
- Reds bring back Parra Nov 27
- Red Sox acquire Badenhop from Brewers Nov 22
- Reds agree to 2-year deal with C Pena Nov 12
- Cano, 12 others reject qualifying offers Nov 11
- Report: Reds ink C Pena Nov 8
- Reds make offer to Choo Nov 4
- Price is right in Cincinnati Oct 22
- Report: Reds to name Price manager Oct 22
- Reds' Latos undergoes elbow surgery Oct 16
- Baker out as Reds manager Oct 4