Mayberry's RBI single sends Phils past Reds in 11thAug 24, 2012 - 4:42 AM
Alfredo Simon (2-2) served up a leadoff hit to Kevin Frandsen, and Utley followed with a double. After an intentional walk to Ryan Howard to load the bases, Domonic Brown grounded to first for a force at home. Mayberry followed with a bouncer through the left side to end the contest.
"I was trying to get something to the outfield. That was my approach," Mayberry said. "I didn't execute it exactly as planned, but I snuck one through there."
The hit made a winner of Raul Valdes (3-2), who tossed a scoreless top of the 11th.
Erik Kratz picked up three hits and an RBI for the Phillies, who earned a split in the set after dropping the previous two games.
Todd Frazier knocked in all three runs for the Reds, who were denied their first three-game win streak in Philadelphia since 1996.
In a rain-soaked first inning, the Reds picked up a run thanks to two singles, a walk and a groundout by Frazier.
The Reds tacked on two more in the sixth. Jay Bruce and Ryan Ludwick began the frame with singles, then Frazier doubled them home with a ball that struck the base of the low wall in center.
With Cole Hamels off the mound, the hosts finally awoke in the home half, climbing back within a run after a pair of sacrifice flies from Laynce Nix and Kratz. Howard worked a leadoff walk and Brown then doubled, chasing Reds starter Johnny Cueto for Jose Arredondo.
Cueto ended up allowing five hits and two runs over five-plus frames, while Hamels departed after six having given up six hits and three runs.
The Phils had the bases loaded with one out in the bottom of the eighth on singles from Brown, Mayberry and Kratz. Jimmy Rollins lofted a fly to shallow left, but it was enough to plate Brown with the tying run. Pinch-hitter Ty Wigginton fanned to end the threat.
Cincinnati dodged a bullet in the bottom of the ninth, as Brown hit into an inning-ending double play with the bases loaded. Philly failed again in the 10th despite runners on second and third.
"We just started to keep playing Houdini all the time," Reds manager Dusty Baker said. "Three innings in a row they kept putting them out there. They didn't quit."
Philadelphia evened its record in one-run games at 21-21, and has won 10 of its last 13 games decided by that margin ... Prior to the game, the Phils activated pitcher Jeremy Horst off the paternity leave list on Thursday and optioned pitcher Michael Schwimer to Triple-A Lehigh Valley ... The Reds reinstated catcher Devin Mesoraco and optioned him to Triple-A Louisville and recalled pitcher J.J. Hoover from Louisville ... Reds shortstop Zack Cozart extended his career-best hit streak to 10 games ... Brown posted two hits and scored twice, while Howard walked three times ... Cincinnati hasn't won a four-game series in Philadelphia since Sept. 12-14, 1996, and hasn't won a series of any kind in the Quaker City since Aug. 12-14, 2006 ... Hamels is 8-0 with a 1.51 ERA lifetime against the Reds in 11 regular/postseason starts. The Phillies have won all those starts.
- CINCINNATI: 3
Aug 23 11:32 PM
- Jimmy Rollins sacrifice fly to left scored Domonic Brown with two out. Runners on first and second with Phillippe Aumont due up.
Reds 3, Phillies 3 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 23 10:21 PM
- Erik Kratz sacrifice fly to left scored Domonic Brown with two out. None on and Michael Martinez due up.
Reds 3, Phillies 2 Bot 6, 2 OutsAug 23 9:26 PM
- Laynce Nix sacrifice fly to right scored Ryan Howard with one out. On the play, Domonic Brown advances to third. Runner on third and Erik Kratz due up.
Reds 3, Phillies 1 Bot 6, 1 OutAug 23 9:25 PM
- Todd Frazier doubled to center scoring Jay Bruce and Ryan Ludwick with none out. Frazier advanced to third on Laynce Nix fielding error. Runner on third and Miguel Cairo due up.
Reds 3, Phillies 0 Top 6, 0 OutsAug 23 9:06 PM
- Todd Frazier grounded out third to first scoring Zack Cozart with two out. Runners on second and third with Miguel Cairo due up.
Reds 1, Phillies 0 Top 1, 2 OutsAug 23 7:24 PM
- CINCINNATI: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 23 7:07 PM
- Phils end Reds' six-game winning streak 11:19p
- Cingrani, Lee square off in Philly 10:35a
- Reds nip Marlins in extras Fri
- Phillies issue statement on Halladay's shoulder Thu
- Latos draws the start for Reds against Marlins Thu
- Choo hits 2 HRs, carries Reds over Marlins Thu
- Indians whip Phillies in series finale Wed
- Phillies sign Zambrano to minor league deal Wed
- Reds turn to Leake against Marlins Wed
- Indians hope offense returns in finale with Phillies Wed
- Reds down Marlins behind Bailey's 10-K CG Wed
- Mayberry, Pettibone fuel Phils' win over Tribe Tue