Colon strong as A's top TribeAug 19, 2012 - 7:20 AM
Colon (10-9) surrendered a run on five hits and fanned three for the A's, who have won three straight games. The 39-year-old became the third pitcher in Oakland history two win 10 games at age 36 or older. Don Sutton had 13 wins in 1985 at age 40 and Tom Candiotti tallied 11 victories in 1998 at age 40.
"That is an accomplishment, it doesn't surprise me," A's manager Bob Melvin said of Colon's feat. "He enjoys what he's doing at this point in his career."
Grant Balfour picked up the final out to notch his 11th save of the year.
Corey Kluber (0-2) allowed four unearned runs on four hits and three walks in five innings for the Cleveland, which has dropped its last four contests.
The A's opened the scoring following a four-run third and pushed across another in the sixth.
Cliff Pennington reached base on Asdrubal Cabrera's error at shortstop to begin the third frame and Jemile Weeks moved him to second with a sacrifice bunt. After Coco Crisp walked, a double steal put Crisp and Pennington at second and third, respectively.
Pennington scored on Josh Donaldson's RBI groundout and Josh Reddick ripped a double to left field, which plated Crisp. Cespedes then smacked a two-run shot to left field for a 4-0 A's lead.
George Kottaras bounced an RBI single through the hole on the left side in the sixth to make it 5-0.
Carlos Santana got Cleveland on the board in the seventh with a solo shot to center field, but Oakland got the run back in the home half when Cespedes poked a run-scoring single through the hole on the left side, which gave Oakland a 6-1 advantage.
Crisp lined a two-out, two-run triple in the eighth before the Indians made things a bit interesting with a four-run ninth when Oakland had to use three different pitchers to finally seal the win.
Shin-Soo Choo cracked a two-run blast off of Evan Scribner and Brent Lillibridge belted a two-run shot off Jerry Blevins before Balfour cleaned up the mess by striking out Ezequiel Carrera to end the game.
The Athletics celebrated the 10th anniversary of their American League record 20-game winning streak with a pregame ceremony ... The A's were 5-for-10 with runners in scoring position.
- CLEVELAND: 5
Aug 19 12:20 AM
- Pinch-Hitter Brent Lillibridge two-out, two-run Home Run (3) to left scored Michael Brantley. Jack Hannahan due up.
Indians 5, Athletics 8 Top 9, 2 OutsAug 19 12:10 AM
- Shin-Soo Choo none-out, two-run Home Run (15) to right scored Asdrubal Cabrera. Carlos Santana due up.
Indians 3, Athletics 8 Top 9, 0 OutsAug 18 11:59 PM
- Coco Crisp triple to center scored George Kottaras and Jemile Weeks with two out. Runner on third and Josh Donaldson due up.
Indians 1, Athletics 8 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 18 11:55 PM
- Chris Carter flied out to center to end the inning.
Indians 1, Athletics 6 End 7Aug 18 11:30 PM
- Michael Brantley singled to center. Runner on first with two outs and Shelley Duncan due up.
Indians 1, Athletics 5 Top 7, 2 OutsAug 18 11:05 PM
- George Kottaras single to right scored Chris Carter with two out. Runner on first and Cliff Pennington due up.
Indians 0, Athletics 5 Bot 6, 2 OutsAug 18 10:59 PM
- Yoenis Cespedes two-out, two-run Home Run (16) to left scored Josh Reddick. Chris Carter due up.
Indians 0, Athletics 4 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 18 10:08 PM
- Josh Reddick double to left scored Coco Crisp with two out. Runner on second and Yoenis Cespedes due up.
Indians 0, Athletics 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 18 10:04 PM
- Josh Donaldson ground out short to first scored Cliff Pennington with two out. On the play, Coco Crisp advances to third. Runner on third and Josh Reddick due up.
Indians 0, Athletics 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 18 10:00 PM
- CLEVELAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 18 9:08 PM
- Cespedes' homer pushes A's past Royals 10:05p
- Masterson, Brantley help Tribe blank Mariners 5:54p
- A's hope to complete sweep of Royals 9:53a
- King Felix goes for the Mariners in Cleveland 9:25a
- Two-run sixth propels A's past Royals Sun
- Reynolds lifts Indians over Mariners Sat
- Athletics reinstate OF Young Sat
- Indians eye another win over Mariners Sat
- Royals try to even series in Oakland Sat
- Rosales, A's edge Royals Sat
- Kipnis, Tribe top M's Sat
- Anderson has stress fracture in right foot Fri