A's sweep struggling IndiansAug 31, 2012 - 12:17 AM
Josh Reddick, Cliff Pennington, Coco Crisp and Josh Donaldson each homered to power the surging A's to a 12-7 win Thursday afternoon at Progressive Field.
George Kottaras added a three-run double for Oakland, which has won 12 of its last 14 games.
The A's have beaten the Indians eight straight times this year after dropping the first two meetings.
"It was a huge win against a team we really needed to take a series from," Reddick said. "We had a great opportunity to move up in the standings with a team we played well against all year. We did just that. It's one big confidence boost."
Jarrod Parker (9-7) earned the win despite allowing five runs on eight hits and three walks in five-plus innings.
Shin-Soo Choo knocked in three runs for the Indians, who have lost five straight and 14 of 15. Justin Masterson (10-12) was tagged for eight runs on eight hits and two walks in four-plus frames.
"I thought I was making some decent pitches today at times," Masterson said. "Then you look up and realize it's not where it's supposed to be. It's definitely perplexing to say the least."
Cleveland scored three runs in the bottom of the sixth to trim its deficit to 10-6.
Evan Scribner replaced Parker after the latter gave up back-to-back hits to begin the inning. Jack Hannahan then walked to load the bases and Scribner issued another free pass to Jason Kipnis, who homered to lead off the first, to force in a run.
After Asdrubal Cabrera was retired on a pop up for the second out, Choo, who contributed a run-scoring groundout an inning earlier, plated a pair with a single to left field. Jerry Blevins entered from the bullpen and recorded the final out.
The A's went up by five on pinch-hitter Chris Carter's sacrifice fly in the seventh, but Cleveland countered in the bottom of the frame on an RBI single by Lou Marson.
Donaldson went deep in the ninth for Oakland.
Crisp tied the game at 1-1 with a two-out blast in the third, and Oakland created some separation by putting up a five-spot in the fourth. Kottaras hit a two-out double to right-center, clearing the bases after the A's had loaded them up on a single and two walks. Pennington followed with a home run to right to score two more runs.
The Indians got a run back when Ezequiel Carrera scored on a Hannahan single in the home fourth, but Reddick clubbed a two-run shot in the next frame to put Oakland up 8-2. The visitors tacked on two more runs in the sixth on a Stephen Drew sac fly and RBI single by Reddick.
A's starters had walked two or fewer batters in 25 straight games, the longest streak in Oakland history ... Masterson has allowed seven-plus runs in a game seven times this season.
- OAKLAND: 12
Aug 30 3:42 PM
- Josh Donaldson lead-off Home Run (4) to left. George Kottaras due up.
Athletics 12, Indians 7 Top 9, 0 OutsAug 30 3:32 PM
- Lou Marson singled to right scored Carlos Santana. On the play, Ezequiel Carrera advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Jason Kipnis due up.
Athletics 11, Indians 7 Bot 7, 2 OutsAug 30 3:13 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Chris Carter sacrifice fly out to right scored Brandon Moss. Runners on first and second and with two outs and Coco Crisp due up.
Athletics 11, Indians 6 Top 7, 2 OutsAug 30 2:44 PM
- Shin-Soo Choo singled to left scored Ezequiel Carrera and Jack Hannahan. On the play, Jason Kipnis advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Michael Brantley due up.
Athletics 10, Indians 6 Bot 6, 2 OutsAug 30 2:22 PM
- Jason Kipnis walked. Casey Kotchman scored on the play. Bases loaded with one out and Asdrubal Cabrera due up.
Athletics 10, Indians 4 Bot 6, 1 OutAug 30 2:18 PM
- Josh Reddick singled to right scored Coco Crisp. Runner on first with two outs and Yoenis Cespedes due up.
Athletics 10, Indians 3 Top 6, 2 OutsAug 30 2:02 PM
- Stephen Drew sacrifice fly out to center scored Cliff Pennington. On the play, Coco Crisp advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Josh Reddick due up.
Athletics 9, Indians 3 Top 6, 2 OutsAug 30 1:59 PM
- Shin-Soo Choo grounded out second to first scored Jason Kipnis. None on with two outs and Michael Brantley due up.
Athletics 8, Indians 3 Bot 5, 2 OutsAug 30 1:47 PM
- Josh Reddick none-out, two-run Home Run (27) to right scored Stephen Drew. Yoenis Cespedes due up.
Athletics 8, Indians 2 Top 5, 0 OutsAug 30 1:29 PM
- Jack Hannahan singled to center scored Ezequiel Carrera. Runner on first with two outs and Lou Marson due up.
Athletics 6, Indians 2 Bot 4, 2 OutsAug 30 1:22 PM
- Cliff Pennington two-out, two-run Home Run (4) to right scored George Kottaras. Coco Crisp due up.
Athletics 6, Indians 1 Top 4, 2 OutsAug 30 1:11 PM
- Coco Crisp two-out, solo Home Run (9) to right. Stephen Drew due up.
Athletics 1, Indians 1 Top 3, 2 OutsAug 30 12:48 PM
- Asdrubal Cabrera grounded out pitcher to first. None on with one out and Shin-Soo Choo due up.
Athletics 0, Indians 1 Bot 1, 1 OutAug 30 12:16 PM
- OAKLAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 30 12:07 PM
- Rockies acquire Anderson from A's 5:25p
- A's make Kazmir signing official Dec 4
- A's send Smith to Padres for P Gregerson Dec 3
- Rangers, A's complete four-player trade Dec 3
- Report: A's to sign Kazmir to 2-year deal Dec 3
- A's add closer Johnson in trade with O's Dec 3
- A's acquire Abad from Nationals Nov 25
- Indians make it official with Murphy Nov 25
- Indians sign Zagurski to minor league deal Nov 22
- Mets add OF Young Nov 22
- Report: Indians reach deal with OF Murphy Nov 20
- Athletics add Punto Nov 13