Rockies edge MetsAug 21, 2012 - 5:47 AM
Herrera reached on a bunt single and moved to second on Josh Edgin's (1-1) throwing error to first. He scampered to third on Chris Nelson's sacrifice bunt and scored when Kelly Shoppach was unable to hang onto an Edgin slider.
The Mets loaded the bases with two outs in the home half. Jordany Valdespin bounced one down the first-base line, but Tyler Colvin made a backhanded stab and flipped to the covering Matt Belisle, who just got to the bag in time to nab the sliding Valdespin.
Colorado added an insurance run in the ninth on Ramon Hernandez's RBI single to left field and Rafael Betancourt tossed a scoreless home half to notch his 24th save of the season.
Colvin smacked a solo homer, while Rex Brothers (7-2) struck out two over 1 1/3 scoreless frames to pick up the win.
Alex White started the game for Colorado and allowed a run on three hits and two walks in four innings.
R.A. Dickey fanned six and surrendered a run on three hits and two walks in seven innings for the Mets, who have lost five of their last seven games. With a no decision, Dickey still has 15 wins on the year, one behind Cincinnati's Johnny Cueto and Washington's Gio Gonzalez for the National League lead.
"When you get a well-pitched game like he gave us it's frustrating and the guys are frustrated by it," Mets manager Terry Collins said about the loss. "We're just not producing runs."
Daniel Murphy lined a two-out RBI single in the opening frame before Colvin crushed a homer to right field in the fifth to knot the contest at 1-1.
"I was fortunate enough to hit it. It was a nice little knuckleball there with two strikes that I could handle," Colvin said about his home run.
The Mets were 1-for-5 with runners in scoring position and left 10 men on base, while Colorado finished 1-for-5 with RISP and stranded five ... Colvin's homer was his 14th of the year.
- COLORADO: 3
NEW YORK: 1
Aug 20 10:31 PM
- Ramon Ramirez enters the game for the Mets with runners on first and second and two outs.
Rockies 3, Mets 1 Top 9, 2 OutsAug 20 10:12 PM
- Johnathan Herrera scores on a passed ball with one out . None on and Charlie Blackmon at the plate.
Rockies 2, Mets 1 Top 8, 1 OutAug 20 9:36 PM
- Tyler Colvin one-out, solo Home Run (14) to right. DJ LeMahieu due up.
Rockies 1, Mets 1 Top 5, 1 OutAug 20 8:33 PM
- Scott Hairston flied out to center to end the inning.
Rockies 0, Mets 1 End 1Aug 20 7:32 PM
- COLORADO: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 20 7:11 PM
- Rockies close out homestand by whacking D-Backs again 6:12p
- Reds finish off sweep of Mets with ninth-inning surge 5:02p
- Aces Wild: Harvey, Latos square off in Citi Field finale 10:46a
- Series up for grabs when D'Backs, Rox play rubber match at Coors 10:13a
- Reds blank Mets 2:25a
- Rox slip by D-Backs in 10 1:50a
- Reds hope to add to Mets' misery Tue
- Rockies, D'backs resume set at Coors Field Tue
- Corbin goes the distance in Diamondbacks' win over Rockies Tue
- Bruce's blast leads Reds over Mets Tue
- Mets take flyer on Aardsma Mon
- D'Backs, Rockies battle for NL West supremacy at Coors Mon