Cain pitches Giants past RockiesSep 20, 2012 - 6:35 AM
Cain (15-5) scattered four hits and fanned eight while walking four to earn his fifth straight positive decision. Jose Mijares finished off the rout with a perfect ninth inning.
Pablo Sandoval popped a three-run home run among his three hits, while Gregor Blanco went 3-for-4 with a two-run single for the Giants, who have won the first three games of this set. Brandon Belt and Buster Posey each added an RBI in the victory.
DJ LeMahieu knocked in the lone run with a sacrifice fly for the Rockies, who lost for the fifth consecutive game. Tyler Chatwood (4-5) took the loss after allowing three runs on eight hits in four innings.
San Francisco jumped on top in its first at-bat with three runs. Angel Pagan began the inning with a solid single back up the middle and Marco Scutaro followed with a double down the line in left field before Sandoval smashed an opposite-field, three-run bomb over the wall in right field.
"He put a good swing on a pitch and I think he definitely needed that," Cain said of Sandoval's home run.
Colorado finally dented Cain for a run in the fifth as Chris Nelson started the frame with a single and Charlie Blackmon followed with a base knock, which allowed Nelson to go first-to-third. LeMahieu then lofted a sacrifice fly to right field, scoring Nelson to cut the deficit to two.
The NL West leaders responded with three in the home portion of the inning to make it 6-1. Sandoval began things with a single to right and Hunter Pence beat out an infield hit two batters later to put runners on the corners. Belt ripped an double to right, scoring Sandoval, and Blanco followed with a two- run single to bring in Pence and Belt.
"The way that guy pitches and you stake him to a 6-1 lead, you put yourself in a pretty bad position," Rockies manager Jim Tracy admitted of Cain.
An RBI single by Posey in the sixth extended the Giants' lead to 7-1. Mijares went through Tyler Colvin, Nelson and Blackmon in order in the ninth.
Scutaro (1-for-4) matched his career-best for hits in a season with 174 ... San Francisco improved to 61-19 when scoring first and 68-19 when scoring more than four runs in a game ... Cain improved to 15-7 in 28 career starts against the Rockies. His 15 wins against Colorado are his highest total against any team in MLB ... The Giants are 17-2 in games started by Cain when scoring three-or-more runs.
- COLORADO: 1
SAN FRANCISCO: 7
Sep 20 1:33 AM
- Buster Posey singled to right scored Angel Pagan. On the play, Marco Scutaro advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Hunter Pence due up.
Rockies 1, Giants 7 Bot 6, 2 OutsSep 20 12:29 AM
- Gregor Blanco singled to right scored Hunter Pence and Brandon Belt. On the play, Blanco was tagged out in a rundown between first and second. None on with two outs and Brandon Crawford due up.
Rockies 1, Giants 6 Bot 5, 2 OutsSep 20 12:09 AM
- Brandon Belt doubled to right scored Pablo Sandoval. On the play, Hunter Pence advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Gregor Blanco due up.
Rockies 1, Giants 4 Bot 5, 1 OutSep 20 12:07 AM
- DJ LeMahieu sacrifice fly to right scored Chris Nelson. Runner on first with one out and Tyler Chatwood due up.
Rockies 1, Giants 3 Top 5, 1 OutSep 19 11:41 PM
- Pablo Sandoval none-out, three-run Home Run (9) to right scored Angel Pagan and Marco Scutaro. Buster Posey due up.
Rockies 0, Giants 3 Bot 1, 0 OutsSep 19 10:30 PM
- COLORADO: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 19 10:16 PM
- Belt, Giants agree at $6.2 million just before hearing 4:10p
- Mets sign outfielder Bernadina to minor league contract Mon
- Reliever George Kontos, Giants agree to $1.15M, 1-year deal Feb 1
- Ventura heading into final year of contract with White Sox Jan 29
- Royals and Ian Kennedy finalize $70 million, 5-year contract Jan 29
- Rays get OF Dickerson from Rockies for reliever McGee Jan 28
- 3 minor leaguers suspended for drug violations Jan 28
- Charlie Blackmon and Rockies agree to $3.5 million deal Jan 25
- MLB unsure of timing in Chapman, Puig and Reyes probes Jan 21
- Rockies finalize $27.5M, 3-year deal with Gerardo Parra Jan 20
- AP source: Royals, Ian Kennedy reach 5-year, $70M deal Jan 16
- Cubs SS Addison Russell drops 12 pounds, ready for 2016 Jan 16