Davis' HRs send Mets over AstrosAug 26, 2012 - 10:31 PM
The Mets led 1-0 entering the ninth, but Houston was able to tie it up when Marwin Gonzalez doubled to left field to score Jose Altuve. Altuve got on base with a pinch-hit single then stole second before Gonzalez sent one down the left field line. Lucas Duda made a sliding attempt but couldn't hold on, allowing Altuve to score easily.
Ben Francisco followed with a single to left but Gonzalez was cut down at the plate after Duda delivered a strike and Kelly Shoppach blocked the plate.
"I mean I had to (block the plate), I had to do something," Shoppach said. "I had to stop him somehow with the game that tight."
Bobby Parnell (3-3) picked up the win after recording the final two outs in the ninth.
Jeremy Hefner started for the Mets and allowed one run on five hits and struck out seven over eight-plus innings.
"I felt good, pretty much everything was working," Hefner said. "I battled and made pitches when I had to. They were really aggressive and I tried to use that to my advantage."
New York took the final two games of this series after losing six straight.
Wilton Lopez (5-2) took the loss after giving up Davis' second homer.
Lucas Harrel tossed seven innings of one-run ball for the Astros, who have lost nine of their last 10 overall. He gave up just two hits, including Davis' first homer, and struck out seven.
"I felt like I was working quick and keeping the ball in the zone," Harrel said. "The defense played really well."
Davis cranked his first homer into the second deck in right field in the fourth.
The Mets won their first home series since taking two of three from the Philadelphia Phillies July 3-5 ... Prior to the game the Mets recalled Duda from Triple-A Buffalo and optioned Jordany Valdespin to Buffalo ... Houston is 1-7 since Tony DeFrancesco took over as manager after the firing of Brad Mills.
- HOUSTON: 1
NEW YORK: 2
Aug 26 3:31 PM
- Ike Davis one-out, solo Home Run 2 (24) to right to end the game.
Astros 1, Mets 2 Bot 9, 1 OutAug 26 3:30 PM
- Marwin Gonzalez doubled to left scoring Jose Altuve. Runner on second with none out and Brett Wallace due up.
Astros 1, Mets 1 Top 9, 0 OutsAug 26 3:10 PM
- Ike Davis lead-off Home Run (23) to right. Lucas Duda due up.
Astros 0, Mets 1 Bot 4, 0 OutsAug 26 2:00 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Aug 26 1:11 PM
- Reds hope to add to Mets' misery 10:48a
- Astros, Royals get back to work at Minute Maid Park 10:37a
- Dominguez helps Astros slip past Royals 1:57a
- Bruce's blast leads Reds over Mets 12:06a
- Mets take flyer on Aardsma Mon
- Royals' Guthrie tries to rebound vs. Astros Mon
- Cueto returns from DL to face Mets Mon
- Murphy's homer lifts Mets over Cubs Sun
- Alvarez homers, Pittsburgh pitches past Houston Sun
- Series up for grabs, as Mets and Cubs battle at Wrigley Sun
- Locke eyes a win in rubber match against Astros Sun
- Astros edge Pirates in 11 innings Sun