Beltran helps Cards complete sweep of RoyalsJun 24, 2012 - 11:40 PM
Yadier Molina added a solo homer for the Cardinals, who recorded their first three-game sweep in Kansas City since 2009. Allen Craig and Matt Holliday each had two RBI and two runs scored.
"We know that as an offensive team that we're going to be able to score runs," Beltran said.
St. Louis starter Lance Lynn allowed six runs on nine hits over 5 1/3 innings. Victor Marte (1-1) recorded the final two outs in the sixth to pick up the win.
Mike Moustakas hit a pair of home runs for the Royals, who were outscored by a 30-14 margin over the three games. Billy Butler and Jeff Francoeur also homered.
Jonathan Sanchez gave up six runs on four hits over 5 2/3 frames. He walked six and struck out three. Tim Collins (4-2) allowed five runs -- four earned -- on three hits over 1 2/3 innings to take the loss.
"We put some offense on the board," Royals manager Ned Yost said. "We just fell behind early. Sanchez really struggled with his command in the first two innings, then actually settled down to get us into the sixth inning. We just kept battling back."
With the game tied at six, the Cardinals scored a run in the seventh. Holliday walked, stole second and raced home on David Freese's two-out single to left.
St. Louis tacked on four more runs in the eighth to create some distance. Matt Carpenter hit a one-out triple off the wall in right-center field. Shane Robinson was intentionally walked. Daniel Descalso followed with an RBI single to right. Rafael Furcal was intentionally walked to load the bases.
Aaron Crow came in from the bullpen to replace Collins. Craig welcomed him to the mound with a two-run single to center. Holliday followed with a sacrifice fly to make it an 11-6 game.
After stranding runners on second and third in the eighth, Kansas City scored two runs in the ninth. Sam Freeman walked Alex Gordon to start the inning. Two outs later, Butler hit a two-run homer to center to make it 11-8. Francoeur struck out swinging to end the contest.
Beltran's homer in the first inning gave the Cardinals a 3-0 lead. However, Moustakas responded with a two-run homer in the bottom half.
The Cardinals scored two runs in the second to take a 5-2 lead. Robinson and Craig walked to put men on base with two outs. Holliday followed with an RBI double to left. A wild pitch from Sanchez scored another run.
Kansas City put a three-spot on the board in the fourth to tie the game. Moustakas and Francoeur hit solo homers around a Butler strikeout. Brayan Pena singled and raced home on Jarrod Dyson's triple to make it 5-5.
Molina's solo homer in the sixth put St. Louis back in front. '
But the Royals got the run right back in the bottom half. Francoeur and Pena hit back-to-back singles with one out. Marte came in from the bullpen and got Salvador Perez to ground out, but a run scored on the play. Dyson grounded out to end the frame.
The Cardinals have won 16 of the last 23 encounters in the I-70 Series...Beltran is now just five hits shy of collecting his 2,000th career hit...Kansas City went 1-for-8 with runners in scoring position and stranded six...The Royals had 14 hits, compared to eight for the Cardinals.
- ST. LOUIS: 11
KANSAS CITY: 8
Jun 24 5:21 PM
- Billy Butler two-out, two-run Home Run (14) to center scored Alex Gordon. Jeff Francoeur due up.
Cardinals 11, Royals 8 Bot 9, 2 OutsJun 24 5:19 PM
- Matt Holliday sacrifice fly out to right scored Rafael Furcal with two out. On the play, Jon Jay advances to second. Runner on second and Carlos Beltran due up.
Cardinals 11, Royals 6 Top 8, 2 OutsJun 24 4:55 PM
- Jon Jay is pinch-running for Allen Craig.
Cardinals 10, Royals 6 Top 8, 1 OutJun 24 4:52 PM
- Daniel Descalso singled to right scoring Matt Carpenter with one out. On the play, Shane Robinson advances to third. Daniel Descalso advances to second on the throw. Runners on second and third and Rafael Furcal due up.
Cardinals 8, Royals 6 Top 8, 1 OutJun 24 4:47 PM
- David Freese singled to left scoring Matt Holliday with two out. On the play, David Freese tagged out at second, left to catcher to second, to end the inning.
Cardinals 7, Royals 6 Mid 7Jun 24 4:26 PM
- Salvador Perez grounded out short to first scoring Jeff Francoeur with two out. On the play, Brayan Pena advances to second. Runner on second and Jarrod Dyson due up.
Cardinals 6, Royals 6 Bot 6, 2 OutsJun 24 4:22 PM
- Yadier Molina lead-off Home Run (10) to left. Matt Carpenter due up.
Cardinals 6, Royals 5 Top 6, 0 OutsJun 24 3:52 PM
- Jarrod Dyson tripled to right scoring Brayan Pena with two out. Runner on third and Alcides Escobar due up.
Cardinals 5, Royals 5 Bot 4, 2 OutsJun 24 3:32 PM
- Jeff Francoeur one-out, solo Home Run (6) to left. Brayan Pena due up.
Cardinals 5, Royals 4 Bot 4, 1 OutJun 24 3:27 PM
- Mike Moustakas lead off Home Run 2 (12) to right. Billy Butler due up.
Cardinals 5, Royals 3 Bot 4, 0 OutsJun 24 3:25 PM
- With Carlos Beltran batting, Allen Craig scored on a Jonathan Sanchez wild pitch with two out. Matt Holliday advances to third. Runner on third and Carlos Beltran at the plate.
Cardinals 5, Royals 2 Top 2, 2 OutsJun 24 2:57 PM
- Matt Holliday doubled to left scoring Shane Robinson with two out. On the play, Allen Craig advances to third. Runners on second and third and Carlos Beltran due up.
Cardinals 4, Royals 2 Top 2, 2 OutsJun 24 2:54 PM
- Mike Moustakas one-out, two-run Home Run (11) to right scored Irving Falu. Billy Butler due up.
Cardinals 3, Royals 2 Bot 1, 1 OutJun 24 2:38 PM
- Carlos Beltran one-out, three-run Home Run (20) to left scored Allen Craig and Matt Holliday. David Freese due up.
Cardinals 3, Royals 0 Top 1, 1 OutJun 24 2:22 PM
- ST. LOUIS: 0
KANSAS CITY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 24 2:13 PM
- Streaking Cards hit the road to battle Padres 10:41a
- Royals' Guthrie tries to rebound vs. Astros 10:39a
- Cespedes' homer pushes A's past Royals 10:05p
- Cardinals down Brewers 7:58p
- Lohse hopes to deliver series win for Brewers in St. Louis Sun
- A's hope to complete sweep of Royals Sun
- Brewers top Cardinals in 10 innings Sun
- Two-run sixth propels A's past Royals Sun
- Cardinals' Garcia heading to DL Sat
- Cardinals' Garcia heading to DL Sat
- Lynn shoots for seventh win of year against Brewers Sat
- Royals try to even series in Oakland Sat