Hellickson, Rays top RoyalsAug 21, 2012 - 5:51 AM
Hellickson (8-8) allowed just one run on six hits and a walk to earn his first home victory since May 16, a span of seven winless starts.
"I thought I was really good, I got ahead of guys," Hellickson said. "The curveball was really good and I just threw strikes for the most part."
Jeff Keppinger crushed a solo home run, while Desmond Jennings, Jose Lobaton and Elliot Johnson each registered two hits and an RBI as the Rays won their fifth straight contest.
"The offense was good enough," Rays manager Joe Maddon said. "Lobo (Lobaton), EJ (Johnson), did some nice work, but it all started with the pitching."
Will Smith (4-5) was tagged with the loss after giving up four runs on eight hits and two walks in 3 2/3 innings.
"Command was off for (Smith) tonight, he was either off the plate or down the middle," Royals manager Ned Yost said. "You go back and look at all the replays on the base hit and every time they flashed one up there (on the scoreboard) it was down the middle He just battled with his command."
Alex Gordon finished with two hits and knocked in the lone run for the Royals, who had a three-game winning streak snapped.
The Rays struck first in the second inning as Sean Rodriguez worked a one-out walk before Lobaton singled two batters later.
Johnson then stroked a two-out base hit to left field to score Rodriguez, but Lobaton was thrown out at third to end the inning with the Rays holding a 1-0 lead.
The Royals answered in their next at-bat after the first two hitters smacked singles. Alcides Escobar then grounded into a double play, but Gordon followed with a single to second base that Ryan Roberts couldn't corral as Johnny Giavotella crossed home to knot the game at 1-1.
Jennings clubbed a leadoff triple off the top of the wall in right field to start the bottom half and quickly scored when Smith uncorked a wild pitch to give the Rays a 2-1 lead.
Tampa Bay tacked on a run in the fourth as Rodriguez ripped a leadoff double down the third-base line and Lobaton followed two batters later with a single into left-center field to plate Rodriguez for a 3-1 edge.
Johnson then singled before Jennings scorched a double into left field. Lobaton scored on the play, but Johnson was gunned down at the plate to keep the margin at 4-1.
Keppinger's one-out, solo shot in the fifth extended the lead to 5-1, which was more than enough for Hellickson, who allowed just one hit over his final four frames.
J.P. Howell entered in the eighth and retired the Royals in order before Kyle Farnsworth worked around a one-out single in the ninth to nail down the victory.
"We just had a rough game today, not much you can do about that," Smith said. "You're going to have those kind of games, just have to come back and bounce back tomorrow."
Howell's 25 2/3-inning scoreless streak is the longest by any pitcher in Rays history ... Rays third baseman Evan Longoria was given the day off for rest ... The Royals have lost six straight games at Tropicana Field ... Kansas City went 1-for-5 with runners in scoring position and left six on base.
- KANSAS CITY: 1
TAMPA BAY: 5
Aug 20 9:57 PM
- Jeff Keppinger one-out, solo Home Run (6) to left. Ryan Roberts due up.
Royals 1, Rays 5 Bot 5, 1 OutAug 20 8:43 PM
- Desmond Jennings doubled in Jose Lobaton. On the play, Elliot Johnson out at home. Runner on second with two outs and B.J. Upton due up.
Royals 1, Rays 4 Bot 4, 2 OutsAug 20 8:33 PM
- Jose Lobaton singled in Sean Rodriguez. Runner on first with one out and Elliot Johnson due up.
Royals 1, Rays 3 Bot 4, 1 OutAug 20 8:24 PM
- With B.J. Upton at the plate, Desmond Jennings scores on a wild pitch by Will Smith.
Royals 1, Rays 2 Bot 3, 0 OutsAug 20 8:03 PM
- Alex Gordon singled to second scored Johnny Giavotella. Runner on first with two outs and Billy Butler due up.
Royals 1, Rays 1 Top 3, 2 OutsAug 20 7:53 PM
- Elliot Johnson singled to left scored Sean Rodriguez. On the play, Jose Lobaton out at third to end the inning.
Royals 0, Rays 1 End 2Aug 20 7:44 PM
- KANSAS CITY: 0
TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 20 7:11 PM
- Bautista, Blue Jays slip by Rays in 10 8:25p
- Shields tries to snap skid as Royals battle Astros 11:22a
- Rays, Jays tangle in finale at Rogers Centre 10:41a
- Royals rally past Astros Wed
- Rays outlast Blue Jays Wed
- Ortiz leads Jays into meeting with visiting Rays Tue
- Astros, Royals get back to work at Minute Maid Park Tue
- Dominguez helps Astros slip past Royals Tue
- Encarnacion, Blue Jays top Rays Mon
- Royals' Guthrie tries to rebound vs. Astros Mon
- Jays' Dickey takes on familiar Rays up north Mon
- Cespedes' homer pushes A's past Royals Sun