Shields shines, Rays down RoyalsAug 23, 2012 - 12:09 AM
Shields has since turned his season around.
Shields won his fourth straight decision and Jose Lobaton hit a solo homer as the Tampa Bay Rays downed the Kansas City Royals, 5-3, in the rubber match of a three-game set.
Shields (12-7) fanned seven and surrendered three runs on five hits and a walk in 7 2/3 innings for the Rays, who have won five of their last six games. Shields has 34 strikeouts and a 2.15 ERA during his winning streak.
"I was mixing my pitches pretty well," Shields said. "Overall I kept them off balance."
The right-hander was 1-3 with a 6.15 ERA in a seven-start stretch before the deadline.
B.J. Upton tallied two hits and a run scored, while Ben Zobrist, Jeff Keppinger and Ryan Roberts added an RBI apiece.
Luis Mendoza (7-9) allowed two runs on five hits and four walks over 4 1/3 frames for Kansas City, which had won 14 of its last 21 games coming in.
The Royals struck first in the second inning when Jeff Francoeur hit a two-out RBI single to center field, but Tampa Bay plated a pair in the third and a run in each of the sixth and seventh innings to take the lead.
Upton and Matt Joyce hit back-to-back one-out singles in the third before Evan Longoria was hit by a pitch to load the bases. Zobrist lifted a sacrifice fly to left field, which scored Upton, before Joyce came home on Keppinger's single to center field.
Roberts ripped an RBI double in the sixth and Zobrist smacked a run-scoring double in the seventh for a 4-1 Tampa Bay edge.
The Royals battled back and pushed across two in the eighth to make it a one- run game as Alcides Escobar belted an RBI triple and Alex Gordon stroked a run-scoring single.
But the Rays got a run back in the home half as Lobaton launched a leadoff homer to dead center field, increasing Tampa Bay's cushion to 5-3, and Fernando Rodney worked a 1-2-3 ninth to notch his 39th save of the season.
"With Shields on the mound, you know you can't give him too much leeway," Royals manager Ned Yost said. "The tack on runs in the sixth, seventh and eighth did us in."
Tampa Bay was 1-for-13 with runners in scoring position and left 10 men on base, while Kansas City finished 2-for-4 with RISP and stranded four ... Lobaton's long ball was the second of his career.
- KANSAS CITY: 3
TAMPA BAY: 5
Aug 22 4:04 PM
- Jose Lobaton lead-off Home Run (2) to center. Desmond Jennings due up.
Royals 3, Rays 5 Bot 8, 0 OutsAug 22 3:52 PM
- Alex Gordon single to center scored Alcides Escobar. Runner on first with two outs and Billy Butler due up.
Royals 3, Rays 4 Top 8, 2 OutsAug 22 3:44 PM
- Alcides Escobar triple to center scored Johnny Giavotella. Runner on third with two outs and Alex Gordon due up.
Royals 2, Rays 4 Top 8, 2 OutsAug 22 3:42 PM
- Ben Zobrist doubled to right. On the play, Sam Fuld scores on Alcides Escobar's fielding error. Runner on second with none out and Jeff Keppinger due up.
Royals 1, Rays 4 Bot 7, 0 OutsAug 22 3:26 PM
- Ryan Roberts double to center scored Carlos Pena. Runner on second with none out and Jose Lobaton due up.
Royals 1, Rays 3 Bot 6, 0 OutsAug 22 3:02 PM
- Jeff Keppinger single to center scored Matt Joyce. On the play, Evan Longoria advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Carlos Pena due up.
Royals 1, Rays 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 22 2:05 PM
- Ben Zobrist sacrifice fly to left scored B.J. Upton. Runners on first and second with two outs and Jeff Keppinger due up.
Royals 1, Rays 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 22 2:01 PM
- Jeff Francoeur single to center scored Salvador Perez. Runner on first with two outs and Eric Hosmer due up.
Royals 1, Rays 0 Top 2, 2 OutsAug 22 1:30 PM
- KANSAS CITY: 0
TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 22 1:11 PM
- Rays re-sign Oviedo for $1.5 million Dec 5
- Royals acquire Aoki from Brewers Dec 5
- Rays acquire C Hanigan, P Bell in 3-team deal Dec 3
- Rays reach 2-year deal with C Molina Dec 2
- Royals do not tender contract to Getz Dec 2
- Royals extend GM Moore Nov 29
- Cubs acquire Kottaras from Kansas City Nov 27
- Royals add Vargas to rotation Nov 21
- Fernandez, Myers named MLB top rookies Nov 12
- Fernandez, Myers named MLB top rookies Nov 11
- Royals release P Mendoza Nov 11
- Rays re-sign OF DeJesus Nov 6