Young lifts Rangers over Royals in extrasSep 7, 2012 - 6:21 AM
Texas rallied from an early three-run deficit and helped Scott Feldman avoid a sixth straight loss. The right-hander gave up three runs with six strikeouts in 6 1/3 frames then stepped back and watched the top of the Rangers order do the damage in extra innings.
Kinsler legged out a sliding triple to start the 10th inning before Young connected on his second hit of the game, lining a single back through the middle. That made Mike Adams (4-3) a winner, and Joe Nathan pitched a clean frame for his 30th save.
"We know what we're capable of and we are going to continue to fight every out, every inning and give ourselves the best chance to win," Kinsler said.
Josh Hamilton and Adrian Beltre hit back-to-back homers for the Rangers, who have won four of five overall.
Greg Holland (6-4) gave up the go-ahead run to take the loss for Kansas City, which has dropped two straight. Jeff Francoeur and Eric Hosmer hit solo home runs in defeat. Royals starting pitcher Luke Hochevar gave up four runs on six hits with five strikeouts and two walks while matching Feldman's 6 1/3 frames.
"We're not here to be competitive. We're here to win," Holland said. "Tonight was just one of those nights where one bad pitch and there's a ball off the wall. You lose the game."
The Royals got on the scoreboard first in the second inning when Francoeur drove a low fastball deep over the wall in left-center field. Kansas City kept its collective feet on the gas and put up two more runs in the third frame.
Lorenzo Cain doubled past third and into the left-field corner before stealing third base. He scored when Alex Gordon tripled into the right-field corner, and Kansas City added its third run on Salvador Perez's two-out single to right field.
Texas quickly answered back and showcased its power with back-to-back home runs. Hamilton drove a two-run homer to right field after Young's single and Beltre followed with a long blast to dead center field that knotted the score at 3-3 in the fourth.
The Rangers claimed the lead in the seventh on Geovany Soto's one-out double to left, which scored David Murphy from first base. It didn't take long for the Royals to respond with Hosmer's solo home run to left field in the home half.
Texas put two runners on base in the eighth and Nelson Cruz drove a low pitch that looked like it would find real estate in center field, but Cain ran it down and caught it on the run to thwart the threat.
Feldman has both a 6-game winning streak and 6-game losing streak this season. His last win came against the Royals on Aug. 4 ... Beltre hit his 30th home run of the season, while Hamilton clubbed his 39th ... Francoeur hit his 12th home run of the season for Kansas City, while Hosmer clubbed his 13th ... The Rangers are 5-4 against the Royals this season.
- TEXAS: 5
KANSAS CITY: 4
Sep 6 11:32 PM
- Michael Young single to center scored Ian Kinsler with none out. Runner on first and Josh Hamilton due up.
Rangers 5, Royals 4 Top 10, 0 OutsSep 6 11:10 PM
- Eric Hosmer one-out, solo Home Run (13) to left center. Tony Abreu due up.
Rangers 4, Royals 4 Bot 7, 1 OutSep 6 10:14 PM
- Geovany Soto double to left scored David Murphy with one out. Runner on second and Mitch Moreland due up.
Rangers 4, Royals 3 Top 7, 1 OutSep 6 10:01 PM
- Adrian Beltre one-out, solo Home Run (30) to center. Nelson Cruz due up.
Rangers 3, Royals 3 Top 4, 1 OutSep 6 9:16 PM
- Josh Hamilton one-out, two-run Home Run (39) to right scored Michael Young. Adrian Beltre due up.
Rangers 2, Royals 3 Top 4, 1 OutSep 6 9:15 PM
- Salvador Perez single to right scored Alex Gordon with two out. Runner on first and Mike Moustakas due up.
Rangers 0, Royals 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsSep 6 9:06 PM
- Alex Gordon triple to right scored Lorenzo Cain with one out. Runner on third and Billy Butler due up.
Rangers 0, Royals 2 Bot 3, 1 OutSep 6 9:04 PM
- Jeff Francoeur one-out, solo Home Run (12) to left. Eric Hosmer due up.
Rangers 0, Royals 1 Bot 2, 1 OutSep 6 8:43 PM
- TEXAS: 0
KANSAS CITY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 6 8:11 PM
- Athletics try to distance themselves from Rangers 2:15p
- Indians pin hopes on Masterson in finale with Royals 2:11p
- A's cruise past Rangers Wed
- Indians use three-run eighth to beat Royals Wed
- Rangers place Baker on DL Tue
- Royals hope to move above .500 against Tribe Tue
- Darvish, Rangers resume set with A's Tue
- Royals edge Indians thanks to wild pitch Tue
- Cruz helps Rangers edge Athletics Tue
- A's try to pad lead atop AL West versus Rangers Mon
- Royals rely on Shields in opener against Tribe Mon
- Wang sharp, Jays complete four-game sweep of Rangers Mon