Dempster pounded in Texas debut, but Rangers down AngelsAug 3, 2012 - 7:17 AM Arlington, TX (Sports Network) - Mitch Moreland provided a go-ahead, pinch-hit single as part of a four-run seventh inning to lift the Rangers over the Angels, 15-9, in the finale of a four-game set on Thursday.
With the game locked at 8-8, Michael Young singled off David Carpenter (1-2) to start the seventh before finding second on a groundout. Moreland then delivered a single into shallow center to plate Young for a one-run lead.
After Jerome Williams entered and walked Ian Kinsler to load the bases, Elvis Andrus singled to plate Moreland, but Daniel Murphy was gunned down at home for the second out.
Hisanori Takahashi entered from the bullpen and Josh Hamilton drilled a ground-rule double into center field to cap the four-run frame.
Roy Oswalt (4-2) earned the victory after tossing a pair of scoreless innings in relief after Texas starter Ryan Dempster, who the club acquired from the Chicago Cubs at Tuesday's deadline, was shelled for eight runs on nine hits and three walks over 4 2/3 innings in his first American League start.
Hamilton knocked in four runs and Kinsler recorded three hits, including a solo home run, to go with two RBI and four runs scored to help the Rangers take the final two games of the series.
"That's quite a team over there. They don't quit, they keep coming," said Texas manager Ron Washington of the Angels. "They're tough throughout that lineup, but we rose to the occasion. We got challenged and we answered. I'm pretty happy with what we did in this series."
Mark Trumbo, Kendrys Morales and Alberto Callaspo each homered in the setback, as the Angels fell five games back of the Rangers atop the AL West.
"There were a ton of positives to take away from this (series) overall," said Trumbo. "Not exactly what we wanted, but I think we made a pretty good impression."
The Angels wasted little time welcoming Dempster to the AL as Mike Trout clubbed a leadoff double to get things started, moved to third on a bunt and then scored on Albert Pujols' sacrifice fly to right field.
Trumbo then delivered an opposite field blast that barely cleared the wall in right, but Kinsler trimmed the margin in the bottom half as he launched a leadoff homer over the wall in left-center field to make it a 2-1 contest.
After Geovany Soto singled to start the second, Mike Olt got his major league career off to a nice start with a screaming line-drive into left field.
Craig Gentry was then plunked to load the bases and Kinsler followed with a single to left to knot the game at 2-2. Two batters later, Hamilton delivered a two-run single to right as the Rangers grabbed a 4-2 lead.
Beltre walked to reload the bases and Young followed two batters later with a two-run single into center to extend the margin to 6-2.
The Angels battled back in the third as Torii Hunter and Pujols stroked consecutive doubles to bring LA within three before Morales drove a homer deep into the upper deck in right to start the fourth, cutting the margin to 6-4.
Callaspo then walked and Howard Kendrick followed with a base hit before both runners moved up on a bunt. Callaspo then scored on a ground out from Bobby Wilson to make it a one-run contest.
After Trout walked and stole second, Hunter ripped a base hit off the base of the wall in left to score a pair as the Angels jumped in front for a 7-6 lead.
Nelson Cruz tied the game in the bottom half when he lifted a two-out, line- drive shot over the wall in center, but LA responded in the fifth on Morales' RBI double into center field to provide the Halos with an 8-7 lead.
Kinsler stroked a leadoff double into the left-field corner before a balk from Angels starter C.J. Wilson moved him to third. Andrus then slapped a double down the first-base line to tie the game at 8-8.
Soto stroked a two-run double in the eighth and Moreland followed with a run- scoring double of his own to make it a seven-run difference before Callaspo homered in the ninth to account for the final margin.
Wilson, who pitched the first seven years of his career in Arlington, was tagged for a career-high tying eight runs on 10 hits and three walks over 5 1/3 innings and is now winless in his last seven starts...Dempster was drafted in the third round by the Rangers back in 1995...Soto and Dempster were teammates in Chicago and had teamed up for seven starts already this year...Olt was recalled from Double-A Frisco and first baseman Brandon Snyder was optioned to Triple-A Round Rock.
- LOS ANGELES: 9
Aug 3 12:10 AM
- Alberto Callaspo two-out, solo Home Run (8) to right. Howie Kendrick due up.
Angels 9, Rangers 15 Top 9, 2 OutsAug 3 12:00 AM
- David Murphy single to center scored Geovany Soto with none out. On the play, Mitch Moreland advances to third. Runners on first and third with Ian Kinsler due up.
Angels 8, Rangers 15 Bot 8, 0 OutsAug 2 11:46 PM
- Geovany Soto double to left scored Nelson Cruz and Michael Young with none out. Runner on second and Mitch Moreland due up.
Angels 8, Rangers 14 Bot 8, 0 OutsAug 2 11:43 PM
- Adrian Beltre struck out swinging to end the inning.
Angels 8, Rangers 12 End 7Aug 2 11:20 PM
- Elvis Andrus single to left scored Mitch Moreland with two out. On the play, Ian Kinsler advances to third and David Murphy out at home. Runners on second and third with Josh Hamilton due up.
Angels 8, Rangers 10 Bot 7, 2 OutsAug 2 11:14 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Mitch Moreland single to center scored Michael Young with one out. Runner on first and Craig Gentry due up.
Angels 8, Rangers 9 Bot 7, 1 OutAug 2 11:01 PM
- Elvis Andrus double to right scored Ian Kinsler with none out. Runner on second and Josh Hamilton due up.
Angels 8, Rangers 8 Bot 6, 0 OutsAug 2 10:30 PM
- Kendrys Morales double to left center scored Albert Pujols with one out. Runner on second and Alberto Callaspo due up.
Angels 8, Rangers 7 Top 5, 1 OutAug 2 9:54 PM
- Nelson Cruz two-out, solo Home Run (17) to center. Michael Young due up.
Angels 7, Rangers 7 Bot 4, 2 OutsAug 2 9:46 PM
- Torii Hunter single to left scored Howie Kendrick and Mike Trout with two out. On the play, Torii Hunter thrown out at second to end the inning.
Angels 7, Rangers 6 Mid 4Aug 2 9:37 PM
- Bobby Wilson ground out short to first scored Alberto Callaspo with two out. On the play, Howie Kendrick advances to third. Runner on third and Mike Trout due up.
Angels 5, Rangers 6 Top 4, 2 OutsAug 2 9:31 PM
- Kendrys Morales lead-off Home Run (12) to right. Alberto Callaspo due up.
Angels 4, Rangers 6 Top 4, 0 OutsAug 2 9:23 PM
- Albert Pujols double to right center scored Torii Hunter with two out. Runner on second and Mark Trumbo due up.
Angels 3, Rangers 6 Top 3, 2 OutsAug 2 9:11 PM
- Michael Young single to center scored Ian Kinsler and Josh Hamilton with two out. On the play, Adrian Beltre advances to third. Runners on first and third and Geovany Soto due up.
Angels 2, Rangers 6 Bot 2, 2 OutsAug 2 8:57 PM
- Josh Hamilton single to right scored Mike Olt and Craig Gentry with one out. On the play, Ian Kinsler advances to third. Runners on first and third and Adrian Beltre due up.
Angels 2, Rangers 4 Bot 2, 1 OutAug 2 8:49 PM
- Ian Kinsler single to left scored Geovany Soto with none out. On the play, Craig Gentry advances to second and Mike Olt advances to third. Bases loaded and Elvis Andrus due up.
Angels 2, Rangers 2 Bot 2, 0 OutsAug 2 8:45 PM
- Elvis Andrus struck out swinging. None on with one out and Josh Hamilton due up.
Angels 2, Rangers 1 Bot 1, 1 OutAug 2 8:23 PM
- Mark Trumbo two-out, solo Home Run (28) to right. Kendrys Morales due up.
Angels 2, Rangers 0 Top 1, 2 OutsAug 2 8:15 PM
- Albert Pujols sacrifice fly to right scored Mike Trout with two out. None on and Mark Trumbo due up.
Angels 1, Rangers 0 Top 1, 2 OutsAug 2 8:13 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 2 8:09 PM
- Rangers sign Contreras to minor-league deal Thu
- Rangers, A's complete four-player trade Dec 3
- Tigers bolster bullpen with addition of Nathan Dec 3
- Angels non-tender Hanson, Williams Dec 3
- Angels sign reliever Smith Nov 27
- Rangers agree to terms with Lewis on minor league deal Nov 23
- Angels acquire Freese from Cardinals Nov 22
- Darvish free of back inflammation Nov 21
- Tigers send Fielder to Rangers for Kinsler Nov 20
- Ray Davis approved as Rangers' control person Nov 14
- Cano, 12 others reject qualifying offers Nov 11
- Rangers ink Perez to 4-year deal Nov 7