Marlins end drought with rout of PhilliesAug 15, 2012 - 10:55 PM
Miami came into Wednesday's game with a 27-inning scoreless streak after being blanked in three consecutive games for the first time in franchise history. The streak reached 30, the longest such stretch in club history, before Dobbs hit an RBI single in the fourth.
Dobbs went 3-for-4 with a solo homer for the Marlins, who went 2-4 on a six- game homestand. Gorkys Hernandez, Giancarlo Stanton and Donovan Solano added an RBI apiece.
Miami starter Mark Buehrle (10-11) gave up two runs on five hits over seven innings. He was 0-3 in his previous five starts coming into Wednesday's contest. The southpaw has posted double-digit wins for 12th straight seasons.
"The rest of the starters were giving me a hard time because we finally scored on my time, like, 'Hey, must be nice, must be nice to score some runs,'" Buehrle said. "In the meantime, when you score some early runs, it's nice."
Ty Wigginton hit a solo homer and knocked in two runs for the Phillies, who had a three-game winning streak snapped.
Roy Halladay (6-7) allowed three runs on six hits over seven innings to take the loss. He struck out seven and walked one.
Miami ended its long scoreless streak in the fourth inning. Carlos Lee walked and Stanton doubled to get things started. Dobbs' RBI single to right and Solano's sacrifice fly made it 2-0.
Wigginton's homer in the fifth made it a one-run game. He then tied the contest in the sixth with an RBI single. Kevin Frandsen reached base on a bunt single and Chase Utley walked before Wigginton's base hit to left.
But Dobbs' homer to right in the sixth gave the Marlins a 3-2 edge.
"You know, it was just kind of in his bat speed," Halladay said. "I really just left it up a little bit. It was kind of the one I want back. That was kind of the big one."
Miami exploded for six runs in the eighth to turn the game into a rout. B.J. Rosenberg walked Jose Reyes and gave up a single to Lee. Stanton followed with an RBI single to left. Raul Valdes came in and recorded an out, but intentionally walked Solano to load the bases.
After Michael Schwimer then took over on the mound, pinch-hitter Kearns hit a two-run single to left and Petersen hit a two-run double to left-center field. Hernandez added an RBI single to make it a 9-2 game.
Miami leads the season series by a 7-5 margin ... Marlins outfielder Justin Ruggiano left the game in the fourth inning with a strained right abdominal muscle ... Halladay fell to 5-4 lifetime against the Marlins ... Buehrle improved to 5-2 in seven career meetings -- all starts -- against Philadelphia.
- PHILADELPHIA: 2
Aug 15 3:20 PM
- Gorkys Hernandez single to center scored Bryan Petersen. Runner on first with two outs and Jose Reyes due up.
Phillies 2, Marlins 9 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 15 3:09 PM
- Bryan Petersen double to center scored Donovan Solano and Austin Kearns. Runner on second with two outs and Gorkys Hernandez due up.
Phillies 2, Marlins 8 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 15 3:06 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Austin Kearns single to left scored Carlos Lee and Giancarlo Stanton. On the play, Donovan Solano advances to third and Austin Kearns advances to second on the throw. Runners on second and third with two outs and Bryan Petersen due up.
Phillies 2, Marlins 6 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 15 3:04 PM
- Giancarlo Stanton single to left scored Jose Reyes. On the play, Carlos Lee advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Greg Dobbs due up.
Phillies 2, Marlins 4 Bot 8, 0 OutsAug 15 2:48 PM
- Greg Dobbs two-out, solo Home Run (4) to right. Donovan Solano due up.
Phillies 2, Marlins 3 Bot 6, 2 OutsAug 15 2:12 PM
- Ty Wigginton single to left scored Kevin Frandsen. On the play, Chase Utley advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Hector Luna due up.
Phillies 2, Marlins 2 Top 6, 2 OutsAug 15 2:04 PM
- Ty Wigginton lead-off Home Run (10) to left. Hector Luna due up.
Phillies 1, Marlins 2 Top 5, 0 OutsAug 15 1:39 PM
- Donovan Solano sacrifice fly to left scored Giancarlo Stanton. On the play, Greg Dobbs advances to second. Runner on second with one out and John Buck due up.
Phillies 0, Marlins 2 Bot 4, 1 OutAug 15 1:32 PM
- Greg Dobbs single to right scored Carlos Lee. On the play, Giancarlo Stanton advances to third. Runners on first and third with none out and Donovan Solano due up.
Phillies 0, Marlins 1 Bot 4, 0 OutsAug 15 1:30 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 15 12:41 PM
- Desmond's slam in 11th lifts Nats over Phils 2:01a
- Ross powers D'backs past Marlins 8:29p
- Phils hope to break the brooms out on Nats 2:12p
- D'backs, Marlins to play rubber match at Chase Field 2:10p
- Goldschmidt's HR leads D'backs over Marlins Wed
- Lee keeps rolling as Phillies best Nats Tue
- Phillies activate C Ruiz Tue
- Diamondbacks try to halt slide vs. Marlins Tue
- Nats try to bounce back versus Lee Tue
- Marlins' Eovaldi to make season debut Tuesday Tue
- Stanton and Marlins down D'backs Tue
- Brown delivers in ninth, sends Phils past Nats Mon