Blue Jays place P Drabek on DLJun 16, 2012 - 12:07 AM Toronto, ON (Sports Network) - The Toronto Blue Jays placed pitcher Kyle Drabek on the 15-day disabled list Friday with an ulnar collateral ligament sprain in right elbow.
An MRI exam later Friday showed that Drabek has a torn ligament.
The 24-year-old Drabek pitched just 4 1/3 innings Wednesday against the Washington Nationals.
Drabek, who previously underwent Tommy John surgery in 2007, will reportedly visit noted surgeon Dr. James Andrews on Monday to confirm the diagnosis.
Acquired from the Philadelphia Phillies in exchange for Roy Halladay in December 2009, Drabek has made 13 starts this season for the Blue Jays, compiling a 4-7 record with a 4.67 earned run average. The former first-round pick has issued 47 walks and given up 67 hits over 71 1/3 innings.
To fill the roster spot, the Blue Jays recalled pitcher Brett Cecil from Triple-A Las Vegas.
The 25-year-old southpaw will make his season debut Sunday against Philadelphia. He went 3-2 with a 3.38 ERA in nine starts for Double-A New Hampshire this year before earning a win in his lone outing for Las Vegas.
Cecil started 20 games for Toronto in 2011, going 4-11 with a 4.73 ERA.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Bautista, Blue Jays slip by Rays in 10 12:02a
- Rays, Jays tangle in finale at Rogers Centre 10:41a
- Rays outlast Blue Jays Wed
- Ortiz leads Jays into meeting with visiting Rays Tue
- Encarnacion, Blue Jays top Rays Mon
- Jays' Dickey takes on familiar Rays up north Mon
- Yanks try to break the brooms out on Blue Jays Sun
- Yanks continue home dominance of Jays Sat
- Yanks try to continue home mastery of Blue Jays Sat
- Kuroda, Yankees blank Jays Sat
- Blue Jays face tough test in the Bronx May 17
- Jays sweep Giants May 16