Halos use long ball to top Giants in Weaver's returnJun 21, 2012 - 5:20 AM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - Jered Weaver returned from the disabled list and threw six shutout innings to help the Angels beat the Giants, 6-0, to grab the rubber match of a three-game series.
Weaver (7-1) who had been out with a lower-back strain he suffered in the first inning of the Angels' May 28 contest against the New York Yankees, allowed two hits, walked a pair and fanned three, but was removed after throwing 78 pitches.
"Weav does what he usually does, he located his fastball early," Angels manager Mike Scioscia said. "I really liked his fastball command. He changed speeds, a great effort."
Weaver moved to 5-0 at home this year, where his ERA stands at 0.70 in six starts. He also has won seven straight interleague starts and has an all-time such mark of 12-3.
"It felt great, it was nice to get back out there," Weaver said. "I wanted to establish my fastball command and keep them off-balance."
Kendrys Morales homered on his 29th birthday and Mark Trumbo made it back-to- back shots in the eighth inning. Alberto Callaspo also went deep in Los Angeles' ninth win in 12 games.
Ryan Vogelsong (6-3), who had six wins without a loss in an eight-start span, had that streak broken despite yielding seven hits and three runs while fanning six over seven innings.
"Weaver comes off the DL and he didn't miss a beat," Giants manager Bruce Bochy said. "We didn't put any pressure on him. A good outing by Vogy, he pitched well, we just couldn't do anything offensively."
The Giants, who didn't record an extra-base hit, lost to the Angels for the sixth time in the last seven meetings.
Callaspo homered to right in the second and it became 2-0 in the fifth on RBI singles from Erick Aybar and Mike Trout. Aybar's hit, which plated Howie Kendrick, glanced off the tip of the glove of a diving Brandon Crawford at shortstop. Buster Posey couldn't handle the one-hop throw to the plate from Melky Cabrera.
Morales, who came into Wednesday mired in a 1-for-19 slump, got hold of a Shane Loux pitch and homered to right-center leading off the eighth. Trumbo then cranked his 17th homer, a blast to left-center. Bobby Wilson doubled to the gap in right-center to score Kendrick later in the frame.
The Angels also placed pitcher Jerome Williams on the 15-day DL due to breathing problems...Vogelsong suffered his first road loss since Aug. 19, 2011 at Houston...Before Wednesday, the Giants had won each of Vogelsong's last eight starts...Trumbo had seven RBI in the series...It was the Angels' 10th shutout of the year, which tops the majors.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
LOS ANGELES: 6
Jun 21 12:47 AM
- Bobby Wilson double to right center scored Howie Kendrick with two outs. Runner on second and Mike Trout due up.
Giants 0, Angels 6 Bot 8, 2 OutsJun 21 12:35 AM
- Mark Trumbo none-out Home Run (17) to left center. Alberto Callaspo due up.
Giants 0, Angels 5 Bot 8, 0 OutsJun 21 12:29 AM
- Kendrys Morales lead-off Home Run (8) to right center. Mark Trumbo due up.
Giants 0, Angels 4 Bot 8, 0 OutsJun 21 12:27 AM
- Mike Trout single to right center scored Erick Aybar with one out. On the play, Bobby Wilson advances to third. Runners on first and third and Torii Hunter due up.
Giants 0, Angels 3 Bot 5, 1 OutJun 20 11:27 PM
- Erick Aybar single to left scored Howie Kendrick with one out. Aybar advances to second on the throw. Runner on second and Bobby Wilson due up.
Giants 0, Angels 2 Bot 5, 1 OutJun 20 11:25 PM
- Alberto Callaspo two-out, solo Home Run (4) to right. Howie Kendrick due up.
Giants 0, Angels 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsJun 20 10:33 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 20 10:09 PM
- Morse finds a home in San Francisco 11:06a
- Angels acquire Skaggs, Santiago in 3-team deal Tue
- Giants officially re-sign Vogelsong Dec 4
- Angels non-tender Hanson, Williams Dec 3
- Giants to re-sign Vogelsong Nov 29
- Angels sign reliever Smith Nov 27
- Giants re-sign LHP Lopez to 3-year deal Nov 26
- Angels acquire Freese from Cardinals Nov 22
- Giants land Hudson with 2-year deal Nov 19
- Giants land Hudson with 2-year deal Nov 18
- DiSarcina returns to Halos as third base coach Nov 5
- Giants decline option on Barry Zito Nov 2