Boston's Middlebrooks earns AL player of the week honorsJun 25, 2012 - 8:06 PM New York, NY (Sports Network) - Boston Red Sox rookie third baseman Will Middlebrooks was named the top player in the American League for the period ending June 24.
The 23-year-old Middlebrooks batted .625 with three doubles, three home runs and 10 RBI over six games.
Since making his major league debut on May 2, Middlebrooks is hitting .326 and leads all AL rookies with nine homers and 34 RBI. His emergence led Boston to trade Kevin Youkilis to the Chicago White Sox on Sunday.
Other players considered for the award included Middlebrooks' teammate Daniel Nava, Yankees second baseman Robinson Cano and Indians pitcher Justin Masterson.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Red Sox ink top draft pick Ball 3:57p
- Red Sox hope to pad AL East lead versus Rays 2:12p
- Gomes HR in 9th sends Red Sox to twinbill sweep of Rays 3:34a
- Red Sox send Buchholz to DL with neck strain Tue
- Red Sox get best of Rays in twinbill opener Tue
- Red Sox, Rays play two at Fenway Tue
- Orioles take series from Red Sox Sun
- Red Sox try to secure split of 4-game set with O's Sun
- Ninth-inning luck helps Red Sox clip O's Sat
- Charging Orioles aim to extend home win streak over Red Sox Sat
- Tillman, O's blank Red Sox Sat
- Red Sox recall De La Rosa, option Wilson Jun 14