Strasburg, Nationals resume series with BravesJun 30, 2012 - 1:49 PM (Sports Network) - Stephen Strasburg had his six-start victory streak snapped in his last trip to the mound. The 23-year-old right-hander aims to get back on the winning track this afternoon when the NL East-leading Washington Nationals resume their series with the Atlanta Braves.
Strasburg gave up three runs on six hits and a walk with eight strikeouts in six full frames to suffer his first road loss of the season against the Rockies. He had been 5-0 through seven road starts entering Monday's game.
He has started twice against the Braves this season, both victories. The first came May 26 at Turner Field when he allowed six hits and four runs over five innings. Strasburg also had a season-high four walks, but the Nats won, 8-4. Exactly a week later, Strasburg had nine strikeouts over seven shutout innings in a 2-0 victory.
This year's Braves are the first team that Strasburg has posted a win against twice in a single season. He's 2-2 in his career vs. Atlanta.
Mike Minor, who has lost his last two starts and is 1-5 over his past 11 appearances, counters for the Braves. The lefty has given up eight runs over his last two outings. He's 1-2 with a 4.79 ERA in four starts vs. the Nationals.
Last night, Michael Morse went 4-for-4 and his solo home run in the eighth led the Nationals to a 5-4 win. Morse scored three times, Ian Desmond drove in two and Jesus Flores hit a solo home run for the Nationals, who have won three of their last four games.
Ross Detwiler started the game and gave up four runs on five hits over 6 2/3 innings and added an RBI single. Sean Burnett (1-1) got the win after getting the final out of the seventh and pitching a scoreless eighth.
Andrelton Simmons hit a two-run home run while Michael Bourn and Martin Prado each drove in a run for the Braves, who have dropped their past two games.
Randall Delgado gave up four runs -- two earned -- on eight hits with three strikeouts over four innings. Chad Durbin (3-1) gave up the homer to Morse and was charged with the loss.
Atlanta had tied the game with a four-run seventh inning, but the Nationals quickly got the lead back as Morse led off the eighth with his third homer of the year to make it a 5-4 game.
"I'm just trying to see a good ball and get a good pitch to hit," said Morse. "I wasn't thinking of anything, just trying to be free and easy. That was my whole approach today."
The Nationals have won five of six versus the Braves this season, including a three-game sweep in Atlanta from May 25-27.
- WASHINGTON: 5
Jun 30 7:22 PM
- Adam LaRoche double to center scored Michael Morse with two out. Runner on second with two outs and Ian Desmond due up.
Nationals 5, Braves 7 Top 7, 2 OutsJun 30 6:36 PM
- Jesus Flores single to left scored Ian Desmond with none out. On the play, Tyler Moore advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Chien-Ming Wang due up.
Nationals 4, Braves 7 Top 6, 0 OutsJun 30 6:11 PM
- Tyler Moore infield single to second scored Adam LaRoche with none out. On the play, Ian Desmond advances to third. Runners on first and third with none out and Jesus Flores due up.
Nationals 3, Braves 7 Top 6, 0 OutsJun 30 6:10 PM
- Andrelton Simmons single to center scored Freddie Freeman with two out. Runner on second with two outs and Juan Francisco due up.
Nationals 2, Braves 7 Bot 5, 2 OutsJun 30 5:58 PM
- Martin Prado sacrifice fly to center scored Michael Bourn with two out. None on with two outs and Jason Heyward due up.
Nationals 2, Braves 6 Bot 4, 2 OutsJun 30 5:41 PM
- Michael Bourn double to left scored Juan Francisco with one out. Runner on second with one out and Martin Prado due up.
Nationals 2, Braves 5 Bot 4, 1 OutJun 30 5:39 PM
- Juan Francisco double to right scored Andrelton Simmons with none out. Runner on second with none out and Mike Minor due up.
Nationals 2, Braves 4 Bot 4, 0 OutsJun 30 5:36 PM
- Dan Uggla double to left scored Jason Heyward with two out. Runner on second with two outs and Brian McCann due up.
Nationals 2, Braves 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsJun 30 5:15 PM
- Freddie Freeman sacrifice fly to center scored Martin Prado with two out. Runner on second with two outs and Dan Uggla due up.
Nationals 2, Braves 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsJun 30 5:14 PM
- Jason Heyward double to left scored Michael Bourn with one out. On the play, Martin Prado advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Freddie Freeman due up.
Nationals 2, Braves 1 Bot 3, 1 OutJun 30 5:11 PM
- Stephen Strasburg single to center scored Adam LaRoche with two out. On the play, Jesus Flores advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Danny Espinosa due up.
Nationals 2, Braves 0 Top 2, 2 OutsJun 30 4:37 PM
- Ryan Zimmerman groundout to second scored Danny Espinosa with two out. None on with two outs and Michael Morse due up.
Nationals 1, Braves 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJun 30 4:13 PM
- WASHINGTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 30 4:09 PM
- Haren, Cashner face off in San Diego 9:28a
- Minor attempts to pitch Braves to sweep of Dodgers 9:27a
- Padres capitalize on error, edge Nats 1:11a
- Late homers rally Braves past Dodgers 12:48a
- Braves' O'Flaherty lands on DL Sat
- Zimmermann vies to become majors' first 8-game winner in San Diego Sat
- Braves rely on Medlen, as they resume series with the Dodgers Sat
- Nats edge Padres in 10 innings Sat
- Upton slams Braves to win over Dodgers Sat
- Braves activate Heyward Fri
- Dodgers shoot for third consecutive win in opener with Braves Fri
- Burch hopes for better results in San Diego Fri