D-backs hand Miley ball at MilwaukeeJun 30, 2012 - 3:10 PM
The southpaw aims to win his third straight start when the Diamondbacks resume their weekend series in Milwaukee.
Miley has allowed one run in each of his last four appearances and has recent wins against the Cubs and Mariners. The bullpen has also assisted his cause, with Arizona yielding exactly a run in each of his last four starts. The only defeat in that stretch came June 13 at Texas.
On Sunday, Miley gave up three hits in a 5-1 win against the Cubs. He beat the Brewers in Arizona on May 26, pitching six innings.
After throwing 7 1/3 shutout innings on Sunday in a no-decision vs. the White Sox, Mike Fiers heads back to the hill for Milwaukee. The righty has given up one run over his last two starts, covering 14 1/3 innings, but he's yet to win in two home decisions this year.
Aaron Hill hit for his second cycle of the month on Friday and the Diamondbacks downed the Brewers, 9-3.
Hill, who also hit for the cycle on June 18, recorded his 1,000th career hit with a ground-rule double in the first inning. He also singled and scored as part of a five-run third, hit a two-run homer in the fourth and belted an RBI triple in the sixth.
Hill became the first player to hit for the cycle twice in a season since Babe Herman in 1931.
"It was obviously great to get the cycle but it was also great to get the win. It wouldn't be as enjoyable if we had lost," said Hill.
He's 10-for-15 at the plate against the Brewers this season and is a career .607 hitter vs. Milwaukee.
Paul Goldschmidt was equally as impressive, going 4-for-4 with two doubles and a three-run homer for the Diamondbacks, who improved to 16-8 over their last 24 games.
Ian Kennedy (6-7) earned the win, allowing three runs -- one earned -- on six hits over seven innings. He walked one and struck out seven.
Cesar Izturis hit a two-run double for the Brewers, losers in five of their last six games.
Randy Wolf (2-6) was charged with eight runs -- seven earned -- on nine hits over four innings in the setback. He is 0-4 over his last 11 starts and has not won since April 30.
"It's not fun, that's for sure," said Wolf. "This has definitely been a nightmare. I've never felt so physically great and then had such awful results. It's beyond frustrating."
Milwaukee lost two of three in the desert from May 25-27 and is just 5-10 in the previous 15 matchups between the two clubs.
- ARIZONA: 2
Jun 30 10:28 PM
- Miguel Montero lead-off Home Run (8) to center. Chris Young due up.
Diamondbacks 2, Brewers 10 Top 9, 0 OutsJun 30 10:22 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Gerardo Parra reached first on a fielder's choice, second to short, that scored Stephen Drew with one out. Aaron Hill out at second. Runner on first and Jason Kubel due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Brewers 10 Top 8, 1 OutJun 30 10:02 PM
- Carlos Gomez two-out, solo Home Run (4) to left center. Ryan Braun due up.
Diamondbacks 0, Brewers 10 Bot 6, 2 OutsJun 30 9:33 PM
- Cody Ransom single to center scored Rickie Weeks with one out. Runner on first and Martin Maldonado due up.
Diamondbacks 0, Brewers 9 Bot 5, 1 OutJun 30 9:14 PM
- Ryan Braun two-out, two-run Home Run 2 (22) to left center scored Carlos Gomez. Aramis Ramirez due up.
Diamondbacks 0, Brewers 8 Bot 4, 2 OutsJun 30 8:53 PM
- Cody Ransom none-out, three-run Home Run (7) to left scored Corey Hart and Rickie Weeks. Martin Maldonado due up.
Diamondbacks 0, Brewers 5 Bot 4, 0 OutsJun 30 8:44 PM
- Ryan Braun two-out, solo Home Run (21) to center. Aramis Ramirez due up.
Diamondbacks 0, Brewers 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsJun 30 8:27 PM
- Rickie Weeks struck out, but advanced to first on a wild pitch that scored Corey Hart with none out. Runner on first and Cody Ransom due up.
Diamondbacks 0, Brewers 1 Bot 2, 0 OutsJun 30 8:03 PM
- ARIZONA: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Jun 30 7:21 PM
- Following successful rally, Diamondbacks resume set with Padres 10:27a
- Brewers shoot for quick series win over Pirates 9:37a
- Diamondbacks use big 7th inning, down Padres 3:27a
- Estrada pitches Brewers over Pirates 11:54p
- Brewers activate Gorzelanny 6:09p
- McCarthy tries for repeat performance in outing vs. Padres Fri
- Burnett tries to get off the schneid in Milwaukee Fri
- Rockies close out homestand by whacking D-Backs again Wed
- Dodgers batter Brewers in series finale Wed
- Brewers' Lohse to miss next start Wed
- Ryu leads Dodgers into finale at Milwaukee Wed
- Series up for grabs when D'Backs, Rox play rubber match at Coors Wed