Feliz to undergo Tommy John surgeryAug 1, 2012 - 12:14 AM Arlington, TX (Sports Network) - Texas Rangers pitcher Neftali Feliz will undergo Tommy John surgery, the team announced Tuesday.
The surgery will be performed Wednesday by Dr. Keith Meister and the recovery is typically about 12 months.
Feliz went on the disabled list following his start on May 18, when he allowed one run in 4 2/3 innings and admitted right elbow soreness.
The right-hander made three rehabilitation starts in July, going 0-2 with a 1.36 earned run average but was scratched from his last start on Sunday because of more elbow pain.
Feliz was 3-1 with a 3.16 ERA for the Rangers this season in eight games, including seven starts.
The 24-year-old was a 2010 All-Star and the Rookie of the Year as a closer, notching 40 saves in 43 opportunities and holding opponents to a ,176 batting average against.
He had a solid follow-up season last year, nailing down 32 saves in 38 opportunities with a 2.74 ERA before transitioning to the starting rotation in 2012.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Rangers release P Lowe 1:34p
- First-inning burst helps Wolf, Rangers down A's Wed
- Rangers call up Wolf Wed
- A's shoot for sweep of rival Rangers Wed
- Straily, Cespedes help A's edge Rangers Wed
- Rangers activate Pierzynski Tue
- Darvish targets win No. 8 in matchup with A's Tue
- Smith guides A's over Rangers Tue
- Rangers summon Lindblom to make first major league start Mon
- Rangers try to stretch AL West lead in opener with A's Mon
- Murphy, Rangers outslug Tigers Mon
- Rangers place Kinsler on DL Sun