D-Backs place Blanco on DL, claim NievesAug 6, 2012 - 9:22 PM Phoenix, AZ (Sports Network) - The Arizona Diamondbacks placed catcher Henry Blanco on the 15-day disabled list with a sprained left thumb and claimed catcher Wil Nieves off waivers from the Colorado Rockies Monday.
Blanco suffered the injury during Sunday's game against the Philadelphia Phillies when he was slid into by John Mayberry as he tried to block the plate on a play at home.
The 40-year-old was hitting .188 with a home run and seven RBI through 21 games this season.
Nieves, 34, has appeared in 16 games for the Rockies this year, batting .298 with a homer and five runs batted in.
Over 298 career games with the Padres, Yankees, Nationals, Brewers and Rockies, Nieves is a .226 hitter with 34 doubles, six home runs and 78 RBI.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Diamondbacks use big 7th inning, down Padres 3:27a
- McCarthy tries for repeat performance in outing vs. Padres 10:48a
- Rockies close out homestand by whacking D-Backs again Wed
- Series up for grabs when D'Backs, Rox play rubber match at Coors Wed
- Rox slip by D-Backs in 10 Wed
- Rockies, D'backs resume set at Coors Field Tue
- Corbin goes the distance in Diamondbacks' win over Rockies Tue
- D'Backs, Rockies battle for NL West supremacy at Coors Mon
- Nolasco helps Marlins avoid sweep May 19
- D'backs rely on Miley in Miami finale May 19
- McCarthy gets first win following surgery May 19
- McCarthy attempts to get off the schneid in Miami May 18