Orioles call up prospect MachadoAug 9, 2012 - 9:59 PM Baltimore, MD (Sports Network) - The Baltimore Orioles selected the contract of 20-year-old infielder Manny Machado from Double-A Bowie on Thursday.
Machado, the third overall pick of the 2010 first-year player draft, hit .266 with 11 home runs and 59 RBI in 109 games with the Baysox this season. Recently Machado has been hot, hitting .275 with a .505 slugging percentage since the All-Star break.
The infielder becomes the first Oriole to make his major league debut before his 21st birthday since pitch Hayden Penn in 2005 and the first position player to do so since outfielder Eugene Kingsdale in 1996.
Machado, who has played shortstop in 203 of his 208 minor league games, will play third base for just the third time in his professional career when he makes his Baltimore debut. He is expected to hit ninth.
The Orioles optioned pitcher Steve Johnson to Triple-A Norfolk to make room for Machado on the 25-man roster and transferred Brian Roberts to the 60-day disabled list to free up space on the 40-man roster.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Orioles sign Peguero 11:12a
- A's add closer Johnson in trade with O's Tue
- Orioles claim INF Phelps off waivers Nov 25
- Orioles acquire RHP Brad Brach from Padres Nov 25
- O's sign reliever Escalona Nov 20
- Wallace named new Orioles pitching coach Oct 29
- Orioles rally past Red Sox Sep 29
- Orioles 1B Davis exits with wrist sprain Sep 29
- Red Sox await playoff opponent, conclude set at Baltimore Sep 29
- O's win, but BoSox secure top seed in AL Sep 28
- Red Sox nearing homefield advantage, continue set against Orioles Sep 28
- Red Sox crush O's thanks to explosive offense Sep 28