Astros fire Brad MillsAug 19, 2012 - 4:24 AM Houston, TX (Sports Network) - The Houston Astros have relieved Brad Mills of his managerial duties, general manager Jeff Luhnow announced Saturday.
Hitting coach Mike Barnett and first base coach Bobby Meacham have also been relieved of their duties.
Mills, who was hired by Houston prior to the 2010 season and was under contract through 2013, led the team to an MLB-worst 39-82 record this year.
The Astros have never posted a record over .500 under Mills, finishing 2010 at 76-86 and 2011 with a franchise-worst 56-106 mark.
Houston will hold a press conference at 11 a.m. ET, during which Luhnow will introduce an interim manager.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Astros, Royals get back to work at Minute Maid Park 10:37a
- Dominguez helps Astros slip past Royals 1:57a
- Royals' Guthrie tries to rebound vs. Astros Mon
- Alvarez homers, Pittsburgh pitches past Houston Sun
- Locke eyes a win in rubber match against Astros Sun
- Astros edge Pirates in 11 innings Sun
- Rounding Third: Astros take step in the right direction Sat
- Burnett hopes to add to Astros' woes Sat
- Streaking Pirates best Astros on 9th-inning error Sat
- Reid Ryan named Astros president Fri
- Astros renew old rivalry against Pirates Fri
- Reid Ryan to be named president of Astros Thu