Hernandez named AL player of the weekAug 20, 2012 - 7:57 PM New York, NY (Sports Network) - Seattle Mariners pitcher Felix Hernandez was named American League player of the week for the period ending August 19.
Hernandez fired the first perfect game in Mariners history, striking out 12 batters, in a 1-0 defeat of the Tampa Bay Rays on Aug. 15 at Safeco Field.
It was the third no-hitter tossed at Safeco Field this season, making it the first venue since Sportsman's Park (St. Louis Browns) in 1917 to host a trio of no-hitters in the same year.
Hernandez improved to 7-0 with a 1.58 earned run average, four shutouts, 14 walks and 83 strikeouts over his last 11 starts dating back to June 23.
New York Yankees outfielder Nick Swisher and pitcher Hiroki Kuroda, Baltimore Orioles infielder Mark Reynolds and Texas Rangers outfielder David Murphy were also considered for the award.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Mariners select contract of C Sucre 5:58p
- Mariners head home to face AL West-leading Rangers 10:29a
- Mariners demote Montero to Triple-A Thu
- Wilson leads surging Angels past sinking Mariners Thu
- Angels hope to continue offensive onslaught versus Mariners Wed
- Angels crush Mariners behind Trout's cycle Wed
- Mariners continue road trip in Anaheim Tue
- Indians win in extras to sweep Mariners Mon
- Indians eye rare four-game sweep of Mariners Mon
- Masterson, Brantley help Tribe blank Mariners Sun
- King Felix goes for the Mariners in Cleveland May 19
- Reynolds lifts Indians over Mariners May 18