A's acquire Stephen Drew from DiamondbacksAug 21, 2012 - 5:55 AM Oakland, CA (Sports Network) - The Oakland Athletics have acquired veteran shortstop Stephen Drew from the Arizona Diamondbacks in exchange for minor league infielder Sean Jamieson.
Drew missed 137 games with Arizona from July 21, 2011 through June 26 due to a fractured right ankle. He was batting .193 with two home runs and 12 RBI in 40 games since returning to the Diamondbacks.
Drew will be reunited with A's manager Bob Melvin, who was the skipper of the Diamondbacks from 2005-2009.
"That's part of the business," Drew said about the trade. "I'm looking forward to going back to an ex-coach that I had. That's going to be refreshing and a new start."
A first-round draft pick by Arizona in 2004, Drew's best season came in 2008, when he batted .291 with 44 doubles, 11 triples, 21 home runs and 67 RBI in 152 games.
The 29-year-old Drew has been struggling of late and is mired in a 2-for-29 slump over his last nine games.
Jamieson, 23, was Oakland's 17th round draft pick in 2011. He was hitting .234 with 10 home runs, 49 RBI and 25 stolen bases in 118 games at Single-A Burlington.
Oakland's current starting shortstop, Cliff Pennington, is hitting .198 this season.
Arizona manager Kirk Gibson said he will use a rotation of John McDonald, Willie Bloomquist and Jake Elmore at shortstop for the rest of the season.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- A's ship Blevins to Washington Wed
- Rockies acquire Anderson from A's Tue
- Angels acquire Skaggs, Santiago in 3-team deal Tue
- A's make Kazmir signing official Dec 4
- A's send Smith to Padres for P Gregerson Dec 3
- Rangers, A's complete four-player trade Dec 3
- Report: A's to sign Kazmir to 2-year deal Dec 3
- A's add closer Johnson in trade with O's Dec 3
- Diamondbacks name Harkey pitching coach Dec 2
- A's acquire Abad from Nationals Nov 25
- Mets add OF Young Nov 22
- Athletics add Punto Nov 13