Cubs transfer Garza to 60-day DL, claim Hinshaw off waiversAug 22, 2012 - 12:36 AM Milwaukee, WI (Sports Network) - The Chicago Cubs transferred pitcher Matt Garza to the 60-day disabled list on Tuesday, among a number of roster moves.
Garza, who posted a 5-7 record with a 3.91 earned run average in 18 starts this season, hasn't pitched since leaving his July 21 start with elbow soreness.
The Cubs also selected the contract of pitcher Chris Rusin from Triple-A Iowa and added pitcher Alex Hinshaw to the 25-man roster. Hinshaw was claimed off waivers from the San Diego Padres on Sunday.
Rusin has gone 8-8 with a 4.59 ERA over 24 starts for Iowa this season. Over his last four starts the 6-foot-2 Rusin went 1-1 with a 1.85 ERA.
In 31 relief appearances for the Padres this season, Hinshaw pitched to a 1-1 record with a 4.50 ERA.
To make room for Rusin and Hinshaw Chicago optioned pitcher Jeff Beliveau and infielder Adrian Cardenas to Iowa.
Beliveau made 11 relief appearances and pitched to a 3.18 ERA for the Cubs this season, but didn't factor in a decision.
Cardenas was batting .234 with six doubles and two RBI over 32 games for the Cubs this season.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Feldman shines as Cubs rout Mets 7:47p
- Hefner eyes first win of season at Wrigley 9:31a
- Harvey pitches, hits Mets past Cubs Fri
- Harvey goes for Mets in Wrigley opener Fri
- Samardzija's arm, bat leads Cubs to series win Thu
- Rockies, Cubs close out set at Wrigley Wed
- Gonzalez, Rockies pound Cubs Wed
- Cubs seek series victory over Rockies Tue
- Wood pitches, hits Cubs to victory over Rockies Tue
- Cubs make long-term pact with Rizzo official May 13
- Rockies hope to solve Wood in Chicago May 13
- Report: Cubs, Rizzo agree to multi-year extension May 12