Mariners down Orioles for third straight winApr 30, 2013 - 6:37 AM
Saunders (2-3) issued just one walk and struck out two to earn the victory and improve to 8-0 in 12 career starts at Safeco Field.
"You have to be efficient these days and you have to get quick outs," Saunders said of his complete game. "Defense was amazing behind me and we got some clutch hits. It was awesome."
Michael Saunders was activated off the 15-day disabled list before the game and smacked a solo shot to go with two RBI and two runs scored, while Jason Bay collected three hits, an RBI and a run scored for the Mariners, who have won three straight.
Zach Britton (0-1) was tagged with the loss in his 2013 debut after giving up all six runs on 10 hits over six frames in Baltimore's second straight loss.
"It was okay, all things considered," Baltimore manager Buck Showalter said of Britton's outing. "I thought he was throwing well. He gave us a chance."
Matt Wieters stroked a two-run homer to account for the Orioles' offense.
Michael Saunders made his presence felt immediately, as he launched Britton's second offering into the seats in right-center field for a 1-0 lead.
The O's jumped in front in the fourth on Wieters' two-out, two-run blast to left, but the Mariners quickly answered in the bottom half to regain control.
Michael Morse started the frame with a single before Jesus Montero walked. After Justin Smoak popped out to second, Bay ripped a double to left to score Morse. Robert Andino followed with a single to right to plate Montero for a 3-2 lead.
Seattle tacked on three more runs in the sixth after Smoak and Bay stroked back-to-back singles to start the inning. Both runners moved up a base on Andino's bunt before Brendan Ryan's single to right scored Smoak.
Michael Saunders followed with a fielder's choice to plate Bay before Kyle Seager scorched an RBI triple down the right-field line for a 6-2 lead.
Joe Saunders, meanwhile, held the O's hitless after Wieters' blast in the fourth, with the lone baserunner coming on a leadoff walk in the seventh.
Baltimore had won eight straight against Seattle dating back to last season ... Joe Saunders improved to 6-0 in eight career starts against Baltimore ... Michael Saunders had been on the DL since April 11 due to a sprained AC joint in his right shoulder. To make room for him on the roster, Seattle optioned outfielder Carlos Peguero to Triple-A Tacoma.
- BALTIMORE: 2
Apr 30 12:24 AM
- Kyle Seager triple to right scored Michael Saunders with two out. Runner on third with two outs and Kendrys Morales due up.
Orioles 2, Mariners 6 Bot 6, 2 OutsApr 29 11:50 PM
- Michael Saunders fielder's choice to second scored Jason Bay with two out. Brendan Ryan out at second. Runner on first with two outs and Kyle Seager due up.
Orioles 2, Mariners 5 Bot 6, 2 OutsApr 29 11:48 PM
- Brendan Ryan single to right scored Justin Smoak with one out. On the play, Jason Bay advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Michael Saunders due up.
Orioles 2, Mariners 4 Bot 6, 1 OutApr 29 11:47 PM
- Robert Andino single to right scored Jesus Montero. On the play, Jason Bay advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Brendan Ryan due up.
Orioles 2, Mariners 3 Bot 4, 1 OutApr 29 11:09 PM
- Jason Bay double to left scored Michael Morse. On the play, Jesus Montero advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Robert Andino due up.
Orioles 2, Mariners 2 Bot 4, 1 OutApr 29 11:07 PM
- Matt Wieters two-out, two-run Home Run (4) to left scored Chris Davis. J.J. Hardy due up.
Orioles 2, Mariners 1 Top 4, 2 OutsApr 29 10:57 PM
- Michael Saunders lead-off Home Run (2) to right. Kyle Seager due up.
Orioles 0, Mariners 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsApr 29 10:18 PM
- BALTIMORE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 29 10:11 PM
- A-Rod deserves All-Star consideration 3:35a
- LEADING OFF: Sale chases record K streak, All-Stars on deck 3:35a
- Baseball Capsules 12:54a
- Tigers-Mariners Preview 9:50p
- Orioles-Twins Preview 8:25p
- 4 Royals elected to start All-Star Game; Reds' Frazier, too 8:23p
- Montgomery solid into 6th, Mariners beat Athletics 8:05p
- Schoop HR in return from disabled list, O's beat White Sox 7:00p
- McClendon to take leave from Mariners for sister's funeral 4:52p
- Cal Ripken to visit Connecticut to promote youth foundation 2:26p
- Orioles activate second baseman Jonathan Schoop 2:01p
- LEADING OFF: All-Star starters, Santana returns, Matz bats Sat