Knicks give Woodson contract extensionMay 25, 2012 - 10:45 PM New York, NY (Sports Network) - The New York Knicks gave head coach Mike Woodson a multi-year contract extension on Friday.
Woodson was named interim head coach when Mike D'Antoni stepped down on March 14.
"Mike took over the team under challenging circumstances and made it clear, starting on day one, that he was going to hold every player on our roster accountable," said Madison Square Garden Company executive chairman James Dolan.
"We saw a significant improvement since Mike took over and believe our team will only keep improving under Mike's direction."
Woodson led the Knicks to an 18-6 regular-season mark over the final 24 games and the franchise's second consecutive playoff berth. As the seventh seed in the Eastern Conference, New York lost to the Miami Heat in five games in the first round.
The Knicks managed to win Game 4 of their series with the Heat, snapping an NBA-record 13-game postseason losing streak.
Woodson joined the Knicks as an assistant coach in 2011 after spending six seasons as the head coach of the Atlanta Hawks. He guided the franchise to the postseason in each of his final three years.
Prior to that, Woodson was an assistant coach with Milwaukee (1996-97 through 1998-99), Cleveland (1999-2000 through 2000-01), Philadelphia (2001-02 through 2002-03) and the NBA Champion Detroit Pistons (2003-04).
"I'm very humbled and honored to continue coaching the franchise where I started my NBA career," Woodson said. "Our goal is to build off the success we had at the end of last season and to continue our quest of bringing an NBA Championship to Madison Square Garden."
Originally selected by the Knicks with the 12th overall pick in the 1980 NBA Draft, Woodson enjoyed an 11-year NBA playing career. He averaged 14.0 points over 786 games with New York (1980-81), New Jersey (1981-82), Kansas City/Sacramento (1981-82 through 1985-86), L.A. Clippers (1986-87 through 1987-88), Houston (1988-89 through 1990-91) and Cleveland (1990-91).
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Celtics use fast start to blow past Knicks Sun
- Celtics, Knicks renew rivalry in MSG matinee Sun
- Knicks secure second straight blowout win Sat
- After halting slide, Knicks back at MSG to host Magic Fri
- Knicks down Nets in laugher Fri
- Anthony, Knicks visit Nets Thu
- Pelicans lose Davis in win over Knicks Dec 2
- Slumping Knicks return home to face Pelicans Dec 1
- Lawson, Nuggets edge reeling Knicks Nov 30
- Surging Nuggets host sagging Knicks Nov 29
- Griffin, Clippers deal Knicks seventh straight loss Nov 28
- Knicks hope to end slide against Clippers Nov 27